Here's your $900 playback deck 24F/ 30F Frame mode - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 29th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #76
Major Player

Canon doesn't make decks. Although standard 60i HDV will work in any HDV deck, none of the frame modes will. Your best bet as an inexpensive deck that can read the F modes is the Canon HV10, which you can find now for around $600.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #77
Inner Circle

John,

Michael is perfectly right, no decks for the Canon XLH1, or the other Canon HD cameras, because of the 30f and 24f modes. This is the main reason I bought the Canon HV20, to use it as a deck.

But, it doubles as a great B-cam too and is great to take with you everywhere you go! The picture is gorgeous too!

Mike
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:50 AM   #78
Major Player

Does the HV-30 work the same as the HV-10/HV-20? In other words, can I use it as a playback deck for my Canon XL-H1?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:27 PM   #79
Obstreperous Rex

Of course. You would have already read about it here if there had been some kind of change. However there is no difference between the HV10, HV20 and HV30 in this regard. All will play back Canon Frame mode video shot on an XL or XH camera. See the first post in this thread.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:34 PM   #80
Major Player

Thanks Chris.

I did not read the first post. I read the last few pages of this thread and I saw no mention of the HV-30, only the HV-20. Not that I expected any changes, but I wanted to be sure. Anyway, thanks again.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #81
New Boot

What is the best way to capture to FCP

I'm renting three Canon XL-H1 cameras to film a live disco concert here in Miami this Saturday the 13th 2008 and edit at a later date. I'm filming this event in HD at 29.97.

For post-production will it be best to use the H1 camera as a deck? or should I use any other external hardware? like a VTR deck or the AJA io HD hardware since it has SD-SDI and HD-SDI i/o ? also quick question with the AJA IO HD device I wont need one of their KONA cards right on my G5 Powermac?

another quick question: What is a better choice to shoot this live concert in 29.97 or 59.94i ?

Last edited by Marlon Diaz; September 11th, 2008 at 02:35 PM.
Marlon Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #82
Trustee

marlon,
I'm in Pembroke Pines and own an H1 and an A1, with matching presets. I have lots of experience shooting with the canons, and also have another shooter if you needed. In addition, I have a steadycam style rig, a jib, and 35mm adapter.
get in touch if you'd like me to work with you on the sghoot.
Bruce S. yarock
Yarock Video & Photography
yarock at a o l dot com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Canon XL-H1A affordable decks 4 24p,30p,60i in1080

So does anyone know of an affordable deck that i can buy to transfer footage shot in 1080/24p or and of course 30 going into final cut pro. Or perhaps is it easier to find one to go into avid media composer? I have been using my camera thus far and need 2 stop doing that. I only have around 2000. Please help!
Randy Larioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #84
Regular Crew

Get a used HV20.
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #85
Inner Circle

Yep....

Way to go.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #86
Regular Crew

So by transferring the footage through another camera, would I lose any picture quality shot on my xl-h1a? Also Sony Vegas? I prefer to use either Final Cut, Avid media composer, or Adobe Premiere, but for the most part I am the best with Final Cut, okay with avid and still learning Premiere Pro. Your method sounds to good to be true. I looked up the price and the camera is cheaper than any deck I have seen. Again what is the catch?

Thanks for your help

RL
Randy Larioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #87
Inner Circle

The catch is.................

there is no catch.

It's a tape deck, which just by sheer coincidence, has a lens and other stuff attached - hey, it's free, don't complain.

You can't lose quality as it's all digital from start to finish.

It will work wth any software that can handle Canon's 24f, Avid rings alarm bells but not sure why.

Check out the other 7,475 posts asking exactly the same question and have got the same reply.

It works.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #88
Inner Circle

The catch about the camcorder is that it has fiddly little buttons & a less robust tape transport than a proper tape deck plus it cannot be mounted into a rack or even sat firmly down onto the desktop without rolling around.

The catch about a tape deck is that one does not exist that can handle Canon's 24F pseudo-24p recording mode.

I have been weighing up the pros & cons of a dedicated deck versus HV20/30 & the above points certainly don't rule out using a camcorder & if you are shooting 24F it's a lot better than wearing out an XH-A1 but to be honest it's not ideal.

Cheers

Nigel Barker
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #89
Regular Crew

I have my HV20 on a tripod next to my workstation. The only time I touch it is to put in the tape otherwise I simply control it from HDVSplit.

I use the HV20 a lot more than the XHA1 since the XHA1 is used only for paid jobs. The HV20 is used as a deck, b-roll to the XHA1, personal projects, and the family travel camera. I've taken it to Death Valley and as far as Europe. It's a work horse and greatly undervalued in the used market.

I can count with my fingers how many drop outs I've encountered with my HV20 used with low end Sony tapes. I was at a camera store the other day and overheard the salesman telling the customer that they "had" to buy highend Sony HDV tapes for this camera.

If by chance it dies on me, it is cheap enough to buy another one used.
Old March 6th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #90
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
The catch about the camcorder is that it has fiddly little buttons & a less robust tape transport than a proper tape deck plus it cannot be mounted into a rack or even sat firmly down onto the desktop without rolling around.

The catch about a tape deck is that one does not exist that can handle Canon's 24F pseudo-24p recording mode.

I have been weighing up the pros & cons of a dedicated deck versus HV20/30 & the above points certainly don't rule out using a camcorder & if you are shooting 24F it's a lot better than wearing out an XH-A1 but to be honest it's not ideal.

Cheers

Nigel Barker
Nigel,
You want to check the latest greatest decks HDV decks from Sony as they have been supporting more of Canon's formats than they did formally. See the Sony HVR-M25A Deck. Not an inexpensive solution
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders