Here's your $900 playback deck 24F/ 30F Frame mode - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 6th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #91
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
... Canon's 24f, Avid rings alarm bells but not sure why
Good news on that, the 3.5 release of Avid Media Composer finally supports Canon's 24F format.
Old March 9th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #92
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Epstein View Post
Nigel,
You want to check the latest greatest decks HDV decks from Sony as they have been supporting more of Canon's formats than they did formally. See the Sony HVR-M25A Deck. Not an inexpensive solution
Thanks for that tip. Evidently Sony have finally released a tape deck that handles all possible HDV formats whether 24F/24P/25F etc. If money were no object I am sure that it would have a place in my set up but unfortunately the price is just a touch too rich for me even for the convenience of using a deck rather than a camcorder for capturing.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #93
Regular Crew

What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Thanks for that tip. Evidently Sony have finally released a tape deck that handles all possible HDV formats whether 24F/24P/25F etc. If money were no object I am sure that it would have a place in my set up but unfortunately the price is just a touch too rich for me even for the convenience of using a deck rather than a camcorder for capturing.

So great I need one. What is it? I searched high and low and I read nothing about the Sony HVR-M25AP being compatible with the Canon 24/f and 30/f. So I would definitely appreciate the knowledge of the deck supportive of Canon. No matter what the cost. I know enough people with canon's who would pay small fees just to not have to transfer on another canon camera or their own for those frame rates. Thanks for the help and can't wait to see the deck I need.

Randy Larioz
randylarioz@yahoo.com
Randy Larioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #94
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Larioz View Post
So great I need one. What is it?
It's the Sony HVR-M35.

However it is a bit more expensive than using an HV10/20/30/40 as a deck.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #95
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone

I would like to thank everyone for your help on finding a deck. It is actually the Sony HVR-M25AU and has been out for only a couple of months. It can handle 24f 30f 60i at 1080i and many other formats. The cost at B&H is 3300. There is only one other model that can transfer the footage from your Canon but that model is 4700. I just don't see the point, personally, to use another camera to transfer footage. Heads are still being worn out. True it is a cheaper solution but for me the Sony deck will do the work for me. I already have a couple of dozen filmmakers wanting to use the deck and are willing to pay to transfer their footage. Again thank you, hopefully this deck will pay for itself over time.
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #96
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Larioz View Post
Heads are still being worn out.
This is a myth -- you're *not* going to "wear the heads out" by using a camcorder as a deck.

I have nothing against buying and using a VTR, but the main reason for having one isn't to save the heads on
a camcorder; it's to keep the camcorder in the field where it belongs, instead of tying it up in the editing suite.

Old March 14th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #97
Trustee

To add to Chris's comment. In my opinion the main reason to use a deck in the editroom is the tape handling, response and control by the computer is usually much better than a camcorders. This can make a huge difference in logging and capturing footage.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #98
Regular Crew

Received the Sony HVR-M25AU deck today and transferred some wedding footage shot in 24f on a Canon XL-H1A. Not one single problem, knock on wood.
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #99
Obstreperous Rex

Good to hear -- thanks for that report, Randy!

Old April 24th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #100
Inner Circle

Good evening,

listed at 3000 dollars its pretty steep, but it does a lot of great things!! however for a few hundred more you can get an xha1 and ue it and also have a second high quality camera if you do not already!!

I would love one, but i think the xha1 is the option for me!!
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #101
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
This is a myth -- you're *not* going to "wear the heads out" by using a camcorder as a deck.

I have nothing against buying and using a VTR, but the main reason for having one isn't to save the heads on
a camcorder; it's to keep the camcorder in the field where it belongs, instead of tying it up in the editing suite.
Phew this piece of advice puts my mind at ease Chris - and thanks for redirecting me to this excellent thread. Am halfway through capturing nearly 120 hours of tapes from my Canon XHA1 and was worrying that I'd wear the heads out - just a myth as you say but sometimes you hear it from so many people it starts to stick! I mean really, all the camera is doing is playing a tape (in my capture workflow) from start to finish, with no shuttling back and forth involved. Piece of cake for such a sophisticated piece of equipment! (well I'd like to think so!) :o)
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders