Capturing 24F in SD Properly at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old August 4th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #1
New Boot

Capturing 24F in SD Properly

No one can seem to answer this question and i've been looking all over for an answer so hopefully someone can answer this. How can I capture 24F footage in standard definition mode??? I shot a Jazz band performance and tried capturing it through Premier 2.0 in 24P mode. The raw AVI file looks fantastic but after all the cutting and exporting, the end result looks horrible. So if someone has a solution on how to capture it properly, regardless of what program to use, and also a good format to export it. It will end up on a DVD, so any suggestions would be great.
Manuel Coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:36 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Manuel and welcome to DVi. I'm not quite clear on your workflow...are you shooting in HDV or SD, and if in HDV, are you downcoverting in-camera or within PPro?

Depending on workflow the solutions may be a bit different. But either way, though, if your initially captured AVI file plays properly but export of an edited timeline is bad, the problem lies within the PPro workflow. Can you provide us with a frame grab or short clip of the problem, and a listing of the camera settings, PPro project settings (including pull-down options), and what PPro shows in the "interpret footage" dialog?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #3
New Boot

The way I captured it was in 24F in Standard Definition. I did no down-converting from the camera. The pulldown on the camera was 2:3. I recorded to an HDV/DV Sony Tape. I captured the footage to my computer via Firewire using PPRO. I captured in the 24pDV setting. When I've exported i've used the Microsoft DV AVI option and the Microsoft AVI option and I get the same result. The image looks very ghostlike, like with a trail especially in panning sequences. The "Interpret Footage" Box follows like this:

Use Frame Rate from file 23.9760 is selected
Remove 24P DV Pulldown is selected
Conform to: Square pixels is selected

If you need anymore information please ask and thank you again for your help.
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #4
New Boot

i've never dealt with 24F but here i go...

ask yourself if you really need 24 fps.

trying to save bitrate? trying to save disk space? need to recover progressive frames to do compositing? planning on doing lots of quick edits?

if you answered no to all of those, don't bother reversing the pulldown.
Chris Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Trustee

You shot in 2:3 not 2:3:3:2, that is the problem. You should be editing on a 29.97 timeline. You CAN pull 24 frames out of 2:3 footage but I dont recommend it as it takes some extra processing and PPro just doesnt like to rebuild the c frame correctly.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #6
New Boot

So even though I shot it in 24F on the camera would editing it in the 29.97 timeline work???
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #7
Trustee

Yes, if you shot in 2:3 mode. You applied the 24P look to footage in a 60i stream. 2:3:3:2 footage is more suited to pull the 24 frames out for editing in a 60i timeline.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #8
New Boot

It worked!!!! Thanks for the help Ash.
Manuel Coronado is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders