Canon Console Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old August 10th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Canon Console Software

Up until recently, the only way to purchase Canon's Console Software for the XL H1 and XL-2 was to first download the software from Canon and then call Canon to purchase the software.

Now, it is possible to purchase the software from some dealers. I purchased the software from Jason Price at Tape Works Texas, one of this site's sponsors.

The shrink-wrapped package contained some written instructions, however these are incorrect. Canon is currently working on updating these instructions.

The correct steps are:

Load the CD.

Read the Installation Manual on the CD, print the instructions, if desired.
Follow the instructions. This is a complicated installation process as multiple drivers will be installed.

During the installation process you will be prompted to connect your XL H1 or XL-2 to your computer. Do not connect the camera prior to this step.

When connected, the software in conjunction with the camera, will generate a 16 character code. At this point you will need to call Canon at 877-226-6610.

They will ask for your name, your camera's serial number, the softwares "Certificate Number" and the 16 character code. Then they will give you a license code which allows you to register your software.

Please note that the typefont they use to print the certificates is very unfortunate, as the letter "G" looks like a "C". All certificates start with "G" and not a "C".

Last edited by Dan Keaton; August 10th, 2006 at 11:02 AM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton
At this point you will need to call Canon at 877-226-6610.
Oh good grief. Apparently an automated internet connection is just too sophisticated.

I placed one of the very first orders for the Canon D30 years ago when it was first announced. It was an incredible camera that signaled Canon's bright future in sensors and digital cameras, but their Zoombrowswer sucked eggs. Since then, it's always been distribution or user interface or installation ... With their software, it's always somethin'. I work very hard looking for third-party alternatives so I don't have to bother with their applications.

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I tried to be positive in my post.

After Canon realized that I was not trying to scam them, and that the Console Software could actually be purchased from a dealer, then they worked very hard to make it work.

I have used the current ZoomBrowser and it works well, surprising well. I have a Canon PowerShot II is and uploading pictures is painless as is using the ZoomBrowser.

I was probably the first to purchase the Canon Console Software through a dealer. I was the first to call their call center, as instructed in the package. Canon's call center did not know about this product and it was very difficult to convince them it was for real.

However, all of that is now in the past. Yesterday, someone else did call Canon and they were able to provide the proper license key promptly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders