2x converter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old August 11th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #1
Major Player

2x converter?

I own a canon xlh1 and I am looking for a lens that will allow me to zoom in on very distant subjects. What lens, converter, adapter or whatever peice of glass will allow this? I found the 1.6x adapter for the xl1, but will that work? Is there a 2x? Any advice appreciated.

EDIT: i found this: http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...D=208&IID=1738 and had a couple questions regarding this... How are the optics, and will it work with the stock 20x lens for the xl?

Thanks
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #2
Disjecta

I have both and I would have to say for the money, the Canon 1.6x Extender is a better deal. I think it goes for about $370 whereas the Century Optics 1.6x is around $850.

I have noticed much more chromatic abberation when using the Century than with the Canon. You will get an incompatibility message on the camera when using the Canon but it's totally useable.

Chris Hurd also uses the Canon extender and he seems pretty happy with it. There are already CA issues with the 20x lens and using even more glass is going to exasperate this no matter what way you slice it.
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Spike:

I have a Sony 1.7 with a 58mm thread. I also have a 72mm step up ring I use with my FX1. Lens causes vignetting though, at wider ranges, both on the FX1 and VX2000. Let me know if you want to try to slap it on the end of your camera. I be happy to meet you at my office to check it out.
Old August 11th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I have both and will try to get some shots together for you. Been meaning to do this anyway.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders