1st dropout at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old August 11th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #1
Major Player

1st dropout

Well, after shooting nearly 100 tapes, I've had my first dropout.. Luckily it didn't happen in a particularly critical scene. The problem is that, even though it theoretically only affects 15 frames, because there is a timecode break it makes it difficult to capture (on FCP), even when capturing manually... It eats up about the first 3-4 seconds of the scene.

Since in this case it is the audio that I'm most concerned with, I made a dub out from the Sony MU10, via S-Video and RCA, to a DSR-40, letting the 40 generate it's own TC. Then I was able to capture the audio without losing the first few seconds..

It sure is a good thing these don't happen very often, because they are a PITA...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #2
Major Player

I've never shot with a Canon camcorder (though I am a Canon still photographer and do shoot video with a DVX 100) but do they have any kind of head cleaning recommendation to help minimize drop outs? Also, what tapes are you using?
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi there

Never used a Canon... but do use various Sony's...

If I get a drop out, which everyone gets occasionally... I just try and import that sequence again.... Often second or third time round it goes...

Don't know why.. dirt on heads during reading... but is worth a try...

cheers

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Major Player

We get drop outs that are the fault of the player. If the same tape is played in the camera, that it was recorded in, there is no drop out. That has been our experience so far.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Think it's the tape, because it happens in all decks.. One bad place in one tape out of a hundred isn't bad though... (by the way, I use Sony Digital Master tapes)
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders