XL H1 Firmware Upgrade Details - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:00 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Chuck is correct. I tried the email and got quite a run around of questions. When they agreed that I needed the update they insisted that the camera would have to be shipped to the repair center. After calling 1-800-828-4040 the SD card is on it's way! Thanks to all.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 06:03 PM   #17
Regular Crew

That's an amazing discovery. I called the SD number as well, got someone who didn't know about the firmware-by-SD-card, but within in a few minutes he was on board and I'm being shipped my card. Thanks for sharing this information!
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:16 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I think it is great that we can update the firmware in our XL H1's.

Canon prefers that we send in the cameras.

I would much rather not send an expensive camera through the mail anymore than absolutely necessary.

So, upon request, Canon, will send out the firmware, with instructions, to owners of the XL H1's.

I propose that Canon either post the firmware update on this site, or on their own site, so we can download it ourselves to our cameras. This saves Canon the cost of an SD card, and shipping.

Mr. Hurd, if you think this is a good idea, could you present this to Canon? With Canon's permission, we could post the firmware update and instructions on this site without any effort on Canon's part.

I feel that most of the users that reported in on this thread so far, preferred not to send their cameras to Canon service for this update, instead opting for the SD update.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:37 PM   #19
Inner Circle

The following is from Canon's website concerning this firmware update:

Checking Firmware Version:
To check the firmware version on the XL H1:
1. Turn the main power dial to 'VCR' mode
2. Slide the 'Card/Tape' to 'card' mode (switch is located on the handgrip, above the record start/stop button)
3. Press the 'Menu' button
4. Scroll down to 'System' and press the 'Set' button 5. The firmware version of the camcorder will be displayed.

It appears that when they state: "Set button 5" they mean the one and only "Set" button on the camera, the one above the "IRIS/Select" dial.

When performed, the "Firmware x.x.x.x" will be displayed near the bottom of the menu list.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:22 AM   #20
Major Player

Great! Now some of our wishes will come true!

But it seems to work differently in Europe or at least in Sweden.
The Canon Support Centre here told me they will not send out any SD cards because they want the camera workshop to perform all upgrades.

They told me if I make the upgrade myself I will void all guarantees.
Even if I get a problem with anything else which is not depending on the firmware I will no longer be able to claim for guarantee!

I got a case number and have mailed my camera shop. Waiting to see what will happen.

BTW, this Canon website above speaks about "Service Notice: Release of Timecode Output Malfunction When Playing Back HDV 24F".
Does it not apply to 25F too? Anybody else in Europe please chime in! /Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:43 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton
I feel that most of the users that reported in on this thread so far, preferred not to send their cameras to Canon service for this update, instead opting for the SD update.
I just called Canon for the firmware update and they will definitely try to get you to send the camera in but also offer the option of having the SD card sent out to you. I opted to have the SD card sent.
Old August 24th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #22
Trustee

Firmware Update Arrived

My firmware update arrived today, quicker than I expected. It takes about five minutes to install and the instructions are very easy. The only part which is a little weak is it doen't tell you it is done for very long after it finishes so you might want to watch it work.
The Iris stepping is a huge improvement. I haven't had time to see what else is better.

Last edited by Daniel Epstein; August 24th, 2006 at 02:49 PM.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Dear Daniel,

Good news!
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Epstein
My firmware update arrived today, quicker than I expected. It takes about five minutes to install and the instructions are very easy. The only part which is a little weak is it doen't tell you it is done for very long after it finishes so you might want to watch it work.
The Iris stepping is a huge improvement. I haven't had time to see what else is better.
By "Iris Stepping" do you mean what some of us call the auto "Rack Focus"?
If so, you confirm that Chris Hurd was right - I may not be crazy after all - the rack focus is slower and usable after the firmware update.

Chris - that is a great selling point now for this 20X lense and H1 combo - a perfect automated rack focus preset.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Nope, iris stepping is a different thing altogether. What the firmware update provides is a smoother degree of change as you adjust exposure. Instead of 1/4 stop increments like before, it's now 1/8 stop increments which means that the exposure adjustment is more subtle than it used to be, very much a good thing.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #26
Major Player

Can someone who has done the firmware update and previously used the auto rack focus on the 20X lense prior to the firmware update see if the rack focus has slowed appreciably compared to the snap speed they saw before the update.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 06:30 AM   #27
Inner Circle

I received the firmware update in the mail yesterday.

Due to a shoot last night, I have not installed it yet.

I intend to record some rack focus shots at all three speeds, then install the firmware and repeat the tests.

I hope to run these tests on Saturday.
Old August 28th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard
Can someone who has done the firmware update and previously used the auto rack focus on the 20X lense prior to the firmware update see if the rack focus has slowed appreciably compared to the snap speed they saw before the update.
I tested before and after and saw no change in speed.
Old August 28th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #29
New Boot

Sd Frimware Update

Can someone post the update file that's on the SD card? It would save a lot of us the trouble of calling?

Is that a no no?

Sandor
5 - XLH1's, FOR-A HVS500, AVID Xpress Pro HD, Premiere Pro 2.0, Vegas 6, 6 - Focus FS-2's
Sandor Bondorowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #30
Major Player

Hi,
It works differently here. Canon in Sweden said they will not send out any SD card because:
-If something is going wrong the whole mother board could stop functioning.
Obviously they don't want to have any conflict about such cases.
They gave me some addresses in Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmoe and Växjö where we should be able to get the update for free. They recommended us to first contact their main workshop, Canon RCC, in Gothenburg. /Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders