XL H1 Firmware Upgrade Details - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 28th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #76
Tourist

Dear Mike and Dave, you all make me very clear about the update! I just told the service center for the request again, they will to do me a favour! thanks again! all experts here and the forum are very useful and helpful!
Thanks again!
Nigel Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #77
Tourist

Lucky you are, all around this planet !

In France, an old and silly country, Canon France does not know the possibility to update the firmware in its last version, even if the HD1 is in NTSC mode ! There is no solutions here to obtain this update ! No SD cards ! Nothing ! Just some tears...

Last edited by Daniel Scotto; December 30th, 2006 at 02:13 PM.
Daniel Scotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 10:15 AM   #78
Major Player

If you purchase the new 6X lens, the SD card with the 1.04 update ships in the package with the lens. This update is required for the 6X to work with the H1.

If you don't have the 6X, then I am pretty sure the prior update would be all that you would need.

These updates would seem to be something that could be downloaded off the Canon websites and then copy/pasted to H1 existing SD cards and then follow the procedure for updating the H1. It would seem like a far less expensive and faster method for Canon - but maybe then again, there is a sound reason that Canon is not availing themselves of the website download method.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 06:04 PM   #79
Tourist

Many thanks for this information. The firmware version of my HD1 is 1.0.1.1.
It seems updating this firmware can resolve some problems of timecode in NTSC 24F mode, and iris step. Personnally, I think it's strange that the only possibility for us, frenchies, is to buy the 6X (I'll buy it afterall !) to obtain this firmware. And "Canon France" is not exactly Canon USA as you can imagine.
Daniel Scotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:18 AM   #80
Major Player

Since I've update from 1.0.0. to 1.0.4 I've lost the Gamma control in my Custom preset (the menu page where you can customize a lot of options like knee, black level, etc). There is a black square instead of "GAM N" as before.
Is it normal?
Other things like more iris apertures are fine.
Thank you.
Old February 11th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #81
Wrangler

I just checked one of my cameras with the 1.0.4.0 firmware (in NTSC-land) and the gamma setting is present and operates normally. Wonder if your firmware flash was bad?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #82
Major Player

Thank you Pete,

I've checked again and everythings seem to be fine now, the Gamma setting is back. Maybe one more reboot of the camera was necessary... Sorry for this false alert.
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #83
Wrangler

Very glad that all is well!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #84
Major Player

Why use electronics to degrade performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Nick,
I was expecting the numerical F-Stop values to change each time I moved the iris dial, I was surprised how it actually worked.
So did I. I do not like this either. Changing aperture but the number does only change every second time but the iris changes every time. What is good with this?
Certainly not if you use an external exposure meter or you like to set several camcorders to the same setting. Just time consuming.

It is like the focus with its servo stuff: Turn the ring and see what happends. Nothing? Then turn more! Look again. Now it shows too much. Turn back. Check again ... Very time consuming in my opinion.

Why spend money for electronics when the good old mechanical solution was better? Why not make an optimum design? I don't get it. There are actually a pretty long row of software in this camera which could be improved and made available for everybody to benefit from.

Canon, please see how Sound Devices and others do and learn from them. And please listen to your customers! / Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #85
Major Player

I just bought an XL H1 used. I am the third owner and I do not have any info on the first owner or where it was originally purchased. I logged onto canon's site to see if I could register as an H1 owner, but it is only available for cameras purchased new.

My firmware says 1.0.0.0. Can I still call and get the latest upgrade, or do I have to be able to register my camera? From the sound of the posts on this thread, those of you who called were in Canon's database. That will not be true for me. If I have to haggle to get them to send me the SD card, rather than mailing in my camera, I want to know whether I have a leg to stand on.

Is it legal and ethical for me to ask one of you to lend me your card or is that a no-no due to copyright issues?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Vence Vida
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #86
Major Player

Perhaps the easiest, but most expensive, way to solve the problem would be to order the 6X lens. The latest firmware is shipped with it. I know how ridiculous this may sound but you may very well want this lens anyway. It is a great piece of glass and something I would think you should consider anyway.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #87
Major Player

It would be nice, but there is no way I can afford the extra $2,500 right now. I really just want to update the firmware.
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #88
Major Player

No worries

I went ahead and called Canon today, and they took all my information and sent me the card, no problem. I'm VERY MUCH looking forward to those extra stops.

-Vence
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #89
Major Player

Okay, I have gone around and around with Canon for over three months.
Everytime I called, they said they would send the card, but never did. Finally today, they said they have a new policy and won't send any more cards. They want me to send my cameras in. This has gotten very frustrating! All of my cameras have firmware 1.0.0.0

I have three XL-H1s and I can not afford to be without them for any length of time and sure as heck can't afford to express ship them all back and forth. I have three jobs in November that require me to genlock and link my cameras with timecode, and without the firmware update, my understanding is, it does not work well. Plus, I could REALLY use those smaller iris steps. Too often, one click is just too much change.

Does anyone have a firmware upgrade on SD card that you would be willing to send to me. I'll pay to have it sent back and forth and I will return it. Please!

Thanks,

Vence
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #90
Inner Circle

Email sent.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders