"The Signal" (Nick Hiltgen) picked up at Sundance - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 28th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #16
Major Player

Total guess here, but I bet there was an accidental zero thrown on there.

Let's wait until the directors want to discuss to really find out...

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #17
Trustee

HA! if it was 5.2 million I got screwed! I think the thing is just about anyone can get on IMDB and post information. I don't even think I'm on there yet.

No, I assure that no one involved with this movie LOST any money. Kevin is sort of on the right track. I hate not being able to post the budget but we've got to make sure that we don't upset any distributors or publicity or what have you.
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:00 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
HA! if it was 5.2 million I got screwed! I think the thing is just about anyone can get on IMDB and post information. I don't even think I'm on there yet.

No, I assure that no one involved with this movie LOST any money. Kevin is sort of on the right track. I hate not being able to post the budget but we've got to make sure that we don't upset any distributors or publicity or what have you.
Congrats on your success. I know the investors were happy to get a return. LOL
Are you working on another movie?
Michael Vaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 03:54 PM   #19
Trustee

Currently in preproduction for a series of shorts which I'm point-producing in atlanta through the dailies project (the project that spawned the signal). In addition I will be directing one, which I think will be using more or less the same setup that we used in the signal.

But right now I'm freezing my butt off in breckenridge colorado working on a ski show. (I just got off a project working with dvinfo, member Vince Gaffney and his xl-h1 and the new 6x wide-angle) which was much more fun.
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:31 PM   #20
Major Player

Nick: I strongly recommend writing a short book or a long magazine article on the process, with comprehensive chapters on prepping, lighting, shooting, editing and distributing (meaning, I assume, blow up to 35mm) of the film...

With this success you are the current reigning expert on using a "pro-sumer" camera to break the waves... I know much of the info is probably somewhere in this forum but it would be nice to have it all in one place...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:17 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
(I just got off a project working with dvinfo, member Vince Gaffney and his xl-h1 and the new 6x wide-angle) which was much more fun.
And what a fine time we had. You missed a real hair puller today Nick. Sorry you had to leave. I'll try and get pics of the rig to post / forward. It looks pretty crazy with your liitle camera piggy back.

Vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:55 AM   #22
RED Code Chef

Congratulations, the trailer is looking sweet! Hopefully I'll be able to see it one day!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Wow, I remember seeing the trailer for this a little while back and I still laughed at the end. I'm definately going to buy it.
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #24
Major Player

Has it been released? Can you say what the budget was? Thanks
Robert Morane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #25
Major Player

Nick, did you use the factory default settings or a custom preset (custom created or maybe one from this forums)?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #26
Trustee

Hey Floris it was a custom preset. We created the look, the "custom preset database" wasn't up on these forums yet. It was a pretty basic set up though (don't completely remember) there was a lot of color correction in post to get the difference between the three stories.

I've posted a DSC 24 file and 60 file which I use for about 90% of my shooting now. (the other 10% of the time I'm trying to match to some other inferior camera like an HVX or F900 or Red, you know thooose cameras...)
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #27
Trustee

Official release date (seems like the official date keeps getting changed) is only a few weeks away! february 22nd there's a list of cities up on the website I think but it is by no means comprehensive. Hopefully it's playing at a theater near you!
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Just as I was reading this thread I glance up at my television to see the trailer running on HDNet. They seem to be running it quite often. The film looks fantastic and I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Congratulations.
Kevin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #29
Major Player

Nick,

where did you post those two presets? Could you share them in the custom presets thread in the stickies section?

Any chance that "The Signal" will be released over here in Europe? Or will it depend from the US success?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Congratulations Nick on your film, I hope to see it someday. Maybe Canon will want to use parts of it in promoting the XLH1 ( for a good price of course ). Hopefully it will help break the ice in selling well shot HDV movies to broadcasters where the format is sneered at. Keep up the good work.

Leon Lorenz
www.wildlifevideos.ca
Leon Lorenz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders