"The Signal" (Nick Hiltgen) picked up at Sundance - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 30th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #31
Trustee

That's cool it's getting run on HDNET (owned by Mark Cuban, who also is partnered, or owns Magnolia- the films distributor) We haven't really seen the trailers on any sort of broad distribution yet. There should be some webisodes up soon there was talks about getting them on itunes, but I have some doubts.

Magnolia owns the rights to europe so I suppose it's up to them, which means your probably right it depends on how it does in the box office.

I'll post the 24f files and 60i files today (thought I already had!)

Leon I sure hope so, I've noticed that Discovery HD (which used to be strictly f900 footage) is now playing shows that are shot predominately with HDV cams (deadliest catch, parts of dirty jobs, parts of myth busters etc)
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:01 AM   #32
Major Player

Darn! Got excited about the news of HDNet running "The Signal".

Went to DirectTV and did a search for it and nothing came up.

If anyone knows when HDNet will be running it, please post here so we can see Nick's work.

Thank you in advance.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM   #33
New Boot

John,

HDNet's show Nothing but trailers is showing it. Saw the trailer for "The Signal" last night.

Nick,
I would have never thought that the movie was shot with an HDV camera. When the trailer started it seemed as though it was a big budget 35mm film. Congratulations.
Some questions though.
Reading this forum it appears that it was shot with one camera, was it, and if so was there a thought to use more than one camera?

Thank you.
Pat
Pat Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:14 PM   #34
Major Player

Thanks much Pat ... I was doing a search for the full film itself.

Guess I'll have to hope it comes into our area - would love to see an H1/HDV originated movie on the "Big Screen".

The more that happens with skilled results from folks such as Nick, the easier it should be for broadcasters to accept the HDV IS a viable broadcast option ... it's always the skills employed by the film maker that matter to bring a QUALITY story forth.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM   #35
Trustee

Congratulations to Nick !

Hey Nick ! I congratulate you ! Now we FINALLY have a movie shot completely on the XL H1 in HDV ! I saw the trailler and it looks great ! It seemed as though the XL H1 had developped an "unknown" reputation in the industry as an "overkill" HDV camcorder. The ignorance surrounding the viability of this camera is irritating. Perhaps now, folks in our industry will stop denegrading this camera and the XL H1 will re-emerge as "the" camera for independent film making (?). One would have thought the uncompressed HD-SDI 4:2:2 output would have been enough to explain to industry professionals this is a serious instrument for production. When I went to purchase my XL H1 several folks told me not to bother. I was told to wait for the Sony EX-1 CineAlta Series camcorder because it was "better" and the H1 is an 8 bit camera and they're no good anymore ! (Totally Infuriating !) Well, you can't put other movie lenses on that camera, but you can matte just about any lens known to man on the XL H1. I was told it wasn't FULL HD raster (1440 x 1080 in HDV). Yet, the H1 is FULL HD out of the HD-SDI anyway ! I edit a great deal of other folks HDV in post on Avid and the HDV tapes out of the H1 are FAR superior in the cleanliness of their encoding then what I'm getting out of indies from other camcorders. I think Nick has proved that the HDV format can be used as a viable format for film and TV broadcast. I salut his efforts and can't wait to see this film projected in 35 mm on a big screen !
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 03:28 PM   #36
Trustee

Hey Pat we wish we had two cameras but it wasn't feasible for the budget we working with. (and it wasn't in my budget to buy a second one) I agree that it's great that we now have the tools to tell a good story without having to shoot film. (of course you have to light like film and shoot like film...) I've been told the 35 blowup looks awesome but I'm looking forward to the 21st and seeing exactly how good it looks!
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:36 PM   #37
Major Player

Nick, good job once again, are you working on some other movie project at the moment, The Signal, I hope propelled your career!

Do you mind telling if you shot The Signal, 24f or interlaced?

Regards, Oleg Kalyan...
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #38
Trustee

Hey Oleg, thanks! the signal has definitely helped things. We shot HDV 24f.
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #39
Major Player

Really well done..!

Hi guys,

No questions - just solid admiration and hearty congratulations.

Dave
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #40
Major Player

Hey Nick,

Once again, congratulations to you and the rest of the folks involved with "The Signal".

I'm really excited to see it locally. Is it possibly being released digitally anywhere? We have an excellent DLP 2K cinema in Salt Lake and I was actually hoping to see it on BOTH film and digital!

One technical question--

Did the film get put through any of the latest uprezzing/deartifacting processes in post? I wonder if these things (if applied to the film) made a big difference for the film/digital out?

Thanks,

B
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM   #41
Trustee

Hey Barlow,

For the Digital out I know that there was no uprezzing or anything along those lines, I'm sure something was done for the film out I'll talk to the guys tonight (it's premier night!) and find out for sure. I'm also looking forward to finally seeing it blown up to 35mm and if it lives up to the hype that the directors have been telling me (about picture quality) I'll know tonight and if anyone's interested and lives in the U.S. you'll know tomorrow!

Here's a link with the scheduled theaters it'll be playing at (so far)

http://magpictures.com/dates.aspx?id...9-10839bf88ccd

As far as I'm concerned you don't have to stay and watch the whole movie (though you should at least until the moment that the candlestick is slid across the table and the knives are put in the original clip was up on this site for a while you can get a solid before and after) but please buy a ticket then if you want to go sneak into vantage point or be kind rewind instead we just want to have a solid opening weekend!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM   #42
Regular Crew

I stood up and clapped

What can I say, a standing ovation. I was lucky enough for a theater in Gaithersburg was playing the film and I went over to see it with great anticipation. After the film was over I smiled, sighed with envy, got up and clapped. Wonderful work which left me in awe and got me on my feet and writting the next big project, you guys are an inspiration and deserve every praise out there. A huge congratulations!!!
Dmitry Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #43
Major Player

Hey Nick, two questions about the (hopefully upcoming) DVD release.

1. Is the DVD version scanned back from film, or it was re-exported from the Avid HDV sources?
2. Will there be a Blu-Ray version?

Thanks!
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #44
Major Player

What happened with the film, why such a poor opening?

Sorry to ask, but we did not get it in Russia, also could I ask how was the look
of the film in theaters, blown up to 35mm.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Privet Oleg, film otlichnyj.

The blow up was very well handled and I loved the way it looked in the theater. Bet people couldn't even tell it wasn't film.
Dmitry Yun is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders