canon pulldown at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:28 PM   #1
New Boot

canon pulldown

Can anybody tell me what canon is talking about when they talk about their different pulldown options in 24f mode? I'm confused about whether the image is layed to tape as some sort of interlace format or not. If it is just layed to tape as progressive frames, what is the pull down for? Why would you need a pulldown that can extract the original 24 frames if the 24 frames aren't ever converted to interlace anyway? Bottom line, is there any way to edit 60i footage and 24f footage from the H1 without converting one of them? Thanks a lot!

Colin
Jeremiah Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There is no pulldown when the camera records in HD. It's 24 individual frames recorded to tape. In SD the camera records 24f, adds pulldown, and records 29.97 to tape. To mix HD 24f and 60i in the same timeline would require some manipulation, I'm curious myself as to how to conform 24f to play in a 29.97 timeline. Anyone tried it?
Kevin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #3
New Boot

If I am not mistaken there are two options in recording 24F (or 24P).

There is an option to have it recorded as 24 progressive un-interlaced frames which would be edited solely for straight to film output.

Or you can choose to film with a 3:2 pulldown, which converts the 24 frames into 23.976 fps by slowing the video down by 0.1%, then doubles up on fields every 4 frames to come up with 29.97fps to conform to TV standards. This format is meant for projects that will be seen on television. If you ever decide you want it to transferred to film, there is a process which is called Reverse Telecine which will then interpret the interlaced fields to recreate full 24 frames.

If you choose 3:2 pulldown (which most people do when filming on these cameras) you automatically capture and edit onto a 29.97 timeline.
Pauline Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders