XL-H1 Feature makes it to sundance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 27th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #1
Trustee

XL-H1 Feature makes it to sundance

Just got word last night that the feature we shot in january (the signal) with my xl-h1 and the mini 35 has been accepted and will be screening at sundance. We're all really excited about this and I'll keep everyone posted as events occur.
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Nice! Congratulations, Sundance is a big festival, isn't it?
I reviewed your trailer a while ago, and I found it to be interesting.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Trustee

Yeah the movie has really changed since they cut the trailer, but it still gives you an idea about what's happening I suppose. Sundance is pretty big in the U.S. not quite Cannes but still pretty big. More importantaly it could mean a wider distribution (then just dvd's at blockbuster) if someone else picks it up.
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Sundance and the Toronto, Canada film festivals are the big daddies for No America. Getting a film into Sundance is a huge accomplishment. Congrats on succeeding at an awesome undertaking.

Sundance is crawling with distributors looking for purchases - good luck with this next step up the ladder!
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Congradulations! I think Sundance is Big! Maybe it leans towards the founder "Robert Redford" type folks but all the more better.

P.S. - Could you put up a link again to this video or your trailer. We might want to get your autograph before the big show.
Barry Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Congrats!! That is awesome. I'd love to see a trailer or know more about your film.

Sundance is crazy. It gets bigger and bigger every year. The party scene is incredible but I really enjoy the discussion groups and technology seminars.

Getting into see some of the films is nearly impossible but the vast majority that I have seen have been worth the effort. The other that I really enjoy is a chance to see a film that may never be shown publicly again.

Cheers,
D
David Bertinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #7
Wrangler

Congrats Nick! That's really great news. Good luck at Sundance.
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Trustee

Hey Nick,

Awesome news!

Have you guys re-cut that trailer?
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #9
Major Player

Great news Nick! I'll be sure to go to the screening and hope to meet you if you're there.

Will you be screening from HDCAM?
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #10
Major Player

Congratulations: I've had films in almost every festival from the Czech Republic to Hawaii, have won a wall of awards, including several Best Documentary Features, but have never been able to crack Sundance.. It's quite an accomplishment.. hope you're getting your press kit together...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #11
Trustee

The screening will be from HDCAM (I'm almost positive) everyone's trying to get together the press stuff now. (we honestly thought we had no shot at sundance, slamdance maybe, but not really the sundance thing) So everyone is pulling resources together I think we're going to get a real webpage, (we're currently just using a myspace page) and figuring out business cards or perhaps a more clever way of marketing the movie. For those interested it's kinda an arthouse/zombie horror/romance movie(with comedic elements...) if anyone has some really great ideas to get people to the screening (evidently it's at midnight) feel free to post them.

Oh and thanks everyone for the great wishes, I feel like thi site was instrumental in getting this movie made. (from the original test in december with shannon rawls, to the mini 35, and lit pixel-which may or may not have been a speck of dust, to the different workflows to get the darn footage into an editing system, to even screening the first trailer. I and the rest of the filmmakers give everyone a heartfelt thanks.
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #12
Starway Pictures

Hire some actors, get them into Zombie makeup, and have them handout miniature glossies of the movie poster (make sure screening info is on the cards).
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #13
Trustee

Thanks robert that's a great Idea I'll suggest it to the producers.
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #14
Major Player

500+ postcards from Modern Postcards are a must -

a theatrical size poster -

about 50-100 press kits which include 1) talent & crew lists w/bios, 2) short and long synopsis and logline (logline is usually not more than 2 sentences, like a description in TV Guide), 3) a minimum of four production photos printed and on an enclosed CD (not "behind the scenes" photos but pictures from the film - frame grabs will work, but papers and magazines generally prefer bigger files), 4) a page w/ reviews, if any, or quotes from knowledgeable people who have seen the film...

all presented in a nice glossy portfolio either custom printed or with a printed label on the cover - most can be done yourself and reproduced at a place like Staples or Kinkos... they can cost as much as $20-200@ (depending) but well worth it.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM   #15
Major Player

I forgot to mention, although I'm sure your producers already know this stuff, that you also need several "clip reels"... five or six representative clips from the film on BetaSP.. this is for local and regional TV, so it needs to be SP...

The hardest thing about festivals is getting a buz going for your film. A good publicist that can get you local TV and radio, plus reviews in local papers, as well as Variety and Hollywood reporter is nice, but they ain't cheap.

The goal at festivals like Sundance is to get a distribution deal. That means you have to get distributor reps at your screening(s) not just any old audience.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders