XL-H1 Feature makes it to sundance - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 1st, 2006, 11:08 AM   #16
Trustee

Thanks Steve! That helps a lot. It's funny I don't think anybody every really considered what would happen if we made it into a big festival, now everyone's running around going crazy trying to get it all in order.
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:57 AM   #17
Regular Crew

A couple of things about distributing movie posters/cards:

There only a few places in town where they are allowed to be posted and
those places fill up FAST! If your promo is one of the first ones on the
boards you will soon be covered up and lost in the crowd of everyone
elses promos. Trust me; people have no shame in stapleing their promo
on top of yours.

I've been waiting in line at the boxoffice and people have handed me
promo cards before, or at seminars and I've gotten cards. You might
want to try something like that, at least you know people will read it,
plus the personnal touch is nice and people can get some info on your
film.

Another way is to try to get into some of the parties and hand them out.
You might be able to meet some of the "industry" people and peak their
interest. Or you could hand them out to people as they leave a screening.
Or to the thousands of people walking Main Street.

Best of Luck with your film and I hope to see you at Sundance

Cheers,
D
David Bertinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #18
Major Player

Where can I see this trailer? A link to your myspace or whatever would be cool. I wanna know stuff like budget, equipment used, crew size, everything. This where I hope to be in a year to year and half. So I wanna know everything about the production!
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #19
Trustee

The current trailer can be reached through the myspace page which can easiestly be reached at popfilms.org click on the signal and it will take you there. Alternativley the films official site will be doyouhavethecrazy.com which currently only host the literal which may be fun to look at and freak out your co-workers with.

Te tentative screening dates at sundance are:

Mon. Jan 22, 11:59 pm, Egyptian
Tue. Jan 23, 2:00 pm, Holiday I
Thu. Jan 25, 10:30 pm, Broadway 6
Sat. Jan 27, 11:30 pm, Library
Sun. Jan 28, 1:30 pm, Holiday II

Logistics:
email me and I'll tell you budget, I think I may have already posted in a previous thread, but if we're going to sell it bragging about how low budget the shoot was probably isn't a smart thing.

We had a small crew of 20 or so.
The gear we used was (obviously) the xl-h1 and a mini 35 rig, with zeiss super speeds. The rig was supplied by dan mccain who is a member of this board and a real good guy, we both had a crash course in connecting everything and working with HDV and the mini 35.
We cut on an avid, I really REALLY wanted to say we cut on FCP but apple wouldn't release the darn codec, and was honestly no help in the whole scenario. Don't get me wrong I love the company, but I would have loved even more to put the film on the front of the apple news page and gotten some free publicity.

The production was really darn hard, there honestly was no reason everything should have worked as well as it did. It is a testiment to everyone involved that the movie came out as amazing as it did.

As a side note, this is obviously good news for everyone involved with the movie but I was thinking about it and this is really good, for everyone involved in this board. I mean an HDV movie made it to sundance. I knwo some DV films have, but this had no "name actors" and no big time directors. This was grass roots just like something most of the people on this board would make. It honestly makes me a little giddy because I really feel like something can be done outside of hollywood.

Anyhow if anyone has anymore questions e-mail me or post.
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #20
Major Player

I haven't been on the H1 board in a while and totally missed this, so I guess better late than never: congratulations!

Whish I could be at Sundance to see it on the big screen. Best of luck at the festival!
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #21
Major Player

Nick: That's terrific, they gave you 5 screenings.. that's alot, most festivals only run a feature once or twice... I checked out the site and the show looks pretty darn good.. congrats again...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #22
Trustee

Sh*t I haven't been to this board either in a while and just caught this now. Congrats NICK! AWESOME!

It is GREAT to see a full project completed using the H1 and mini35. I was considering upgrading to it for so long.. but was waiting for more footage to come out. Stuff looks really good, sound is also really good. How was sound recorded?

Lastly do you have any other websites apart from myspace featuring clips or trailers? I'd love to see a 720x480 version or heck, even Hi-Def!

Cheers mate.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #23
Major Player

I finally watched the trailer and....wow man I need to see a higher rez version of that but even low rez that looked really good! Any plans for a higher rez trailer going on the net?
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:26 AM   #24
Trustee

Sorry to revive a dead thread but i'm excited. First reviews are out on the signal and they're great.

check it out on
aintitcool.com

also it looks like we may actually get that theatrical release...
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:32 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
Sorry to revive a dead thread but i'm excited. First reviews are out on the signal and they're great.

check it out on
aintitcool.com

also it looks like we may actually get that theatrical release...
Dead thread? Are you kidding, we've just been waiting for an update. Just checking out the review now. Dang Nick, "THE SIGNAL is the big discovery of the Sundance Film Festival".

Awesome.
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:14 AM   #26
Trustee

Thread continued here!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=84640

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders