background "pulse" when shooting on "Auto" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 29th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

background "pulse" when shooting on "Auto"

I've had the H1 for about a week and have been doing some tests. Most of my shooting is outside (20x lens with 1.6 extender). Programmed AE mode set to "Auto" and using the manual focus setting on the lens. Here's what I'm seeing (typical scene is a woodpecker on feeder in foreground - in focus / various shrubs in background - out of focus.

Although not noticeable while shooting, when I preview the footage in FCP I notice a definite (though subtle) "pulsing" (alternating increase and decrease of brightness) in the background portions of the footage. This is less obvious on the captured (HDV) footage for some reason.

Is this a result of the "Auto" seeking correct exposure? Should I be shooting with exposure lock on? Perhaps the best approach is just to shoot in "Manual?"

Thanks for your ideas.
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #2
Trustee

This can be caused by air waves or haze or what you want to call it when you are using a long focal lenght. When you are in auto mode the exposure will fade "up and down" by how much light you get into the lens. These airwaves can cause the amont of light to change.

If you decide to stay in auto mode, pull the exposure lock. Hopefully the fading will go away.

I'm not a fan of using any auto-setting on the camcorder. The more you can set manually the better footage you'll get.

Just my to cents.
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Light and dark objects moving in the frame will cause the auto exposure to seek and pulse. I tend to shoot on manual for this reason.
Barry
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #4
Major Player

I have recogniced the same, when I captured into HDxHDV, and exported to to MotionJEPG A (@1920x1080). But not in the regular HDV capture in FCP (same footage). Strange. But to be shure; never use any automatic option. Did you have the WB at auto as well?
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders