XLH1 vs F900 (NAB test frames) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 29th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #16
Major Player

The INDI looks very nice. However, I think it will place a very high demand on my storage. How much is 100% uncompressed HD-SDI? Like 1,5GB per minute or something in that line? That would mean 150GB for 60 minutes of video.

The problem is that as long as there is no clear winner in the BluRay / HD-DVD format war, and prices do not come down quickly... all the true HD work is really expensive and only affordable if you are really earning your money with it. For me, as a hobby and beginning enterprise, it's too expensive at this moment.

But in the future... this is where we go. Get the RAW signal from the camera and choose your favorite compression scheme to record the footage in.

I would say keep us informed on pricing, availability and details.

Can you replace the harddisk on your own or do you have to order all media from ColorSpace?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #17
New Boot

Floris,

The uncompressed signal off the XLH1 is 1.485 Gigabits per second. The INDI Recorder takes that 1.485 Gbps signal, and compresses it using MPEG4 compression to around 200 Megabits per second. If left in that compression format you would need around 90 Gigabytes per hour of footage. The media packs which slot onto the INDI do indeed need to be purchased from Colorspace. The media packs are made specifically to dock and communicate with the FPGA recorder. However, you can transfer your data from those media packs to any number of storage mediums you wish to use.
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Adam and Aaron,
thank you for all the info sofar,
it is nice (as an XL H1 owner) to see the comparison the way you did it even thought both of these cameras can be tweaked etc. as it is mentioned in this thread already. Personally I have no plans to mix these two cameras.
At the moment I have been matching XL H1 and XH G1, ...it is a bit tough but I am getting promising results... , as a tool for this I have "only" an analog SD Hamlet 302WVR and a good 14" Sony also with Component SDI input. Are you able to say something about how reliable SD scopes are compared to HD scopes? The shooting with these two cams will be in HDV.
Since my use with XL H1 has been mainly in SD reality so far, it would be very interesting to see with my own eyes what means "horribly restrictive HDV compression" , like you say in your site.
So it would be very interesting to see comparison between HDV codec and your codecs. I guess you were recording also on tape with XL H1.

Btw, a friend of mine was visiting at your booth , you had some dynamic range info there. It would be nice to hear if you find something new about this matter in your tests?

Finally, hopefully the "dvinfo discount" will be there one day.
Cheers,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders