Pal Xl1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 18th, 2002, 01:55 PM   #1
_redone_

Pal Xl1

I was doing some reading and came across someone saying that
the PAL XL1 not only has a better res quality and versitility when transfering to film but it also makes a better "film look"..

Is this true???
Adam Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2002, 02:25 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Read the 4-part DV to 35mm Technology Guide on the XL1 Watchdog (www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm) in the Articles section. It will tell you pretty much everything you want to know about shooting in PAL.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2002, 06:10 PM   #3
_redone_

article

wow what a great article..

surely got alot of useful info out of reading through it..

though my main question still goes somewhat unanswered..
does PAL format really create a better "film-look"??

I imagine it would somewhat..
but havent compared the two first hand yet..
Adam Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2002, 07:16 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

<< does PAL format really create a better "film-look"? >>

It boils down to this... there is really no difference between the way PAL and NTSC video appear from each other except that you might, just might discern a sharper image from PAL, and the PAL frame rate is 25fps vs. 30fps for NTSC. If you're shooting for 35mm film transfer, then some facilities want it on PAL while some want it on NTSC.

A "film look" comes more from lighting, composition and expert camera movement than from anything else. PAL vs. NTSC is not nearly as important as how well lit your video is, making the camera feel like it has some mass when it moves, and of course, above all else, the content: your story, your talent, etc. etc.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2002, 11:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

PAL has more vertical lines and color information

Vertical lines:
NTSC: 525
PAL: 625

Sampling:
NTSC: 4:1:1
PAL: 4:2:0

I can see more detail and vivid color on PAL images even on a small Microsoft Media Player in my PC monitor.

To view PAL image in US, you need to have a PAL monitor, or view PAL image on you PC monitor. It may be inconvenient for you. Warrenty service takes more time because you need to ship the camera to the country you buy from. In my case, to Canon UK.

13" Multi format (PAL/NTSC) JVC monitor costs $450 at B&H.

I agree with Chris. Film look needs more than a good camera: good lighting, picture composition, stories and many others.

Scott Buillups mentioned about XL1 PAL and NTSC vs. PAL in his famous book, "Digital Moviemaking".
Steve Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2002, 12:13 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The following is from an email I recieved from the man who wrote the book, Scott Billups on this topic of PAL and the elusive "film look":

"Using the 3:2 conversion function will give your PAL a very cinematic look when played in NTSC. This is the main reason that so many shows are shooting in 24P for NTSC broadcast.

Obviously, the best thing to do is pump some PAL into your system, transpose it and then record it to VHS. If you like the look (and that's all that is really important) then you've got your production environment."
Justin Walter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog