2 live feeds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 20th, 2002, 06:48 AM   #1
Wrangler

2 live feeds

I want to get 2 live feeds of audio to the XL1 is this possible?

Can I get a live feed from a microphone which is plugged into a PA system, and use the microphone on the camera to record general sound and questions at the end of the talk?

What would the best set up be?

I would like to try and get a way from a mixer if possible? but if I can't, can someone suggest a cheap audio mixer?

Hope you can help,

Ed Smith
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2002, 09:26 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

You will need to change the XL-1 into 12bit audio mode. Then, you can leave the onboard mic alone so that it continues to record on Stereo 1.

You will use Stereo 2 for recording from your alternate mic/mixer. The plugs for Stereo 2 are under the rubber on the side of the handle. You will also need to adjust the menu for Stereo 2 to match the type of signal you are providing.

When it comes time for editing, you will have to capture the appropriate stereo track for each segment (or you can just capture both!). Be aware that some programs do not yet have the capability of capturing Stereo 2 (i.e. Vegas Video)
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2002, 09:33 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

For a detailed explanation, see the Four-Part Guide to XL1 Audio in the Articles section of the XL1 Watchdog at www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm -- it provides step by step instructions on how to do this.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2002, 12:52 PM   #4
Wrangler

Cheers guys you made my life a little easier. There are so many more features on the XL1 than I had ever thought about; the camera always springs out new tricks.

No editing involved with this one, it’s just a straight transfer onto VHS tape.

Would I get Echo from the speakers in the auditorium from the mic on the camera? Not doing this before I have no ideas what to expect.

Thanks,

Ed Smith
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2002, 03:37 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

As long as you have nothing hooked up to the outputs, you will get no echo. The on camera mic will only go straight to the tape on Stereo 1. The only way you could have a problem would be to output from the audio plugs on the back of the camera into an audio in on the mixing board sending sound to the house speakers.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2002, 01:04 PM   #6
Wrangler

Thanks

Thanks Edward, just wanted to put my mind at ease. I had nightmares thinking that the video would turn out to have a horrible echo.

Thanks,

Ed Smith
Ed Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog