Frame Rate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 7th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Frame Rate

I should have asked this a long time ago I think, but how do I change the frame rate on my Canon XL1S???

I think I've got the term right.

I'm trying to understand the difference between 25p and 60i at the moment, my head hurts.

Ta

Dave
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Can you have both of those? One is PAL, and one NTSC, right?
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dave,

You either have a PAL camera at 50i or 25p, or and NTSC camera at 60i or 30p. Its been a while since I had mine, so check you manual for how to switch, I don't remember if it was an external switch or not.

You probably have a PAL camera based on where you live.

Mike
Old November 7th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #4
Trustee

From what I recall, you can go to 50i to a form of 25p using the menu. Look for movie mode. Normal is 50i and frame is 25p.
Old November 8th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #5
Major Player

Ahh sorry I've got myself confused with the difference, I was just spouting numbers based on what I'd heard.

Right my camera is a PAL XL1S. I read the manual and it mentions nothing about "frame rate" it does however mention movie mode being similar to cinema settings. So from what Jean-Phillippe said normal mode on the camera is 50i and Movie mode is 25p? Is this correct?

Right now this is gonna be a really stupid question. Which is best? Or can someone give me a break down of the benefits and drawbacks of the two different modes. I mean in theory 25p should be better as it's closer to 35mm film cameras, no?
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog