Easy Shooting ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 18th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Easy Shooting ?

When I shoot basketball for our high school I'm not yet satified with the quality of my XL-1 is producing, I shoot in TV-Mode a adjust the camera to gain up a bit for more light. Problem is I think the picture quality is not as good as my older GL-2 gave me. I always shot in easy mode on this camera and the picture was good, Lot's of night shooting under football lights as well with good picture.

Am I wrong, but is the GL-2 better? or is it operater error? I will shoot in easy mode for tonight's game to see the diff. but any help or input would be appreciated. The lighting in this gym is pretty good but from what I've been reading nobody shoots in easy or auto focus. The XL-1 seems to not perform very well in auto focus like the GL-2, and I miss that about that camera.
Maybe operator error again.

Any opinnions please,
thanks
Joe Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Wrangler

Is what way to you find the XL1 image deficient compared to the GL2? The GL2 is a much newer camcorder then the XL-1 and had many improvements, including higher resolution (if smaller) CCD so you can expect a number of aspects of the image to be better.

FWIW: under anything but very "average," well lit, point-and-shoot circumstances, green box mode results will be less than optimum. And with green box mode you have virtually no control over the camcorder shooting settings. Also, the speed/response of auto focus (AF) was a long-standing gripe about the XL1 and its standard lens. The AF system needs about 50 lux light vertical edges with good contrast to work reasonably well.
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

better lens ?

Does Canon have a better lens to correct this slow response of the AF. The camera did perform better during my last shoot on green box last night but the focus was slow to respond at times.

I guess I'm a bit spoiled but I'm always looking for the ultamate in picture quality maybe I need to upgrade to HD but I dont think the consumer market is quite there yet.
Joe Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Wrangler

Lens wise, no better AF solution, but there were several fully manual lenses offered for the XL1, but they are not cheap, and for the price you might do better updating to an XH-A1 and enjoy the HD.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:25 PM   #5
Wrangler

I agree with Don. I also agree that shooting green box auto really needs to be avoided. It really makes the output of the XL-1 look like a home camcorder.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog