black level/pedestal at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 9th, 2002, 07:51 PM   #1

black level/pedestal

I just finished reading Adam Wilt's write-up on black level or pedestal. Prior to reading this, I thought a black level of 7.5 IRE was appropriate, as it also corresponds to the "nominal" setting of black level as it comes on the XL1s from the factory and because 7.5 IRE was a North American NTSC standard. Now, after reading the article, I think he's advocating setting the level to 0 IRE in order to match the 601 spec color map. I'm wondering what setting others are using?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2002, 05:40 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

That's a new one on me, Bill. I've been reading up on getting my shots up to broadcast specs...and from what I've read, 7.5 is required for TV.
Old March 10th, 2002, 06:50 AM   #3

John...

You are not mistaken. NTSC spec is, in fact, 7.5 IRE. Adam's point is that we're throwing away bandwidth since computer technology will use the full range, 0-100 IRE. His contention is that we should shoot, capture and edit at 0 IRE and then remap to 7.5 IRE with a proc amp just before making the final tape for broadcast. His contention is that shooting with 7.5 IRE causes less contrast and loss of detail in the blacks. I'm somewhat at a loss to understand this, since I thought the blacks would get crushed. I guess this only applies for broadcast situations. In case you're interested, the article is here:
http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html#DV%20formats
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2002, 07:02 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Thanks, Bill...

I'll check it out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog