Video Quality ?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 11th, 2002, 02:07 PM   #1
Trustee

Video Quality ??

Hello everyone,

I'm considering the purchase of a Plasma television setup with HDTV. I have seen a few on display at B&H in NYC (& The Wiz- but wouldn't buy there) and they're extremly sharp...how well would video shot on the XL1S look on a HDTV? Would the forum posters here think it's on par with DVD quality video?
Anyone here see XL video on a Plasma screen or HDTV- what did you think?

Thanks to anyone who can respond.
Old February 11th, 2002, 11:16 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Steven,

I just returned from Seoul Chunja Land which is electronics mecca...similar to Akihabara in Tokyo. If you've never been shopping for electronics in Asia, you wouldn't believe these mega-electronics districts. Floor after floor after floor, and block after block after block (that's right..."city" blocks) of stuff. Amazing.

Anyway...getting to the point...I saw so many plasma screen TVs, all different brands, all looking about the same. But one literally made me gasp. It's the newest Sharp plasma screen. It was in a whole different league of sharpness and richness of color. Cheaper than some of the others, too.

Just thought I'd pass that on. Doesn't answer your question...but thought I'd alert you to this particular model.
Old February 12th, 2002, 07:11 AM   #3
Trustee

Sharp- thanks- i'll remember this when shopping one.
Old February 12th, 2002, 07:24 AM   #4

"Steve"...

Sorry I wrote your name wrong. I've read lots of your postings...so I know your name by now. Just careless typing.

:)
Old March 10th, 2002, 04:32 AM   #5

Steve,

I've been wondering what you found out about Plasma screens and XL-1 footage. How'd it look? Also, can you give me an idea of prices over there these days?

Thanks.
Old March 10th, 2002, 05:31 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I just bought a 34-inch Panasonic HDTV and took a look at some stuff I shot with the XL1.

It looks great.

Of course to really take advantage of the 16:9 aspect ratio you'd have to shoot in 16:9. While the resolution wouldn't be as good as a camera with true 16:9 CCD's it's still makes for a good viewing experience.

I decided to go with a "direct view" screen instead of plasma or projection televison. While it's not as light as a plasma it has more resolution. Plasma screens, I believe, are limited to 720 pixels across. Direct view HDTV, or CRT screens, have a horizontal resolution of 1080 lines.

Direct view screens also don't suffer from uneven brightness as projection TV's do when your point of view changes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog