Boomed Mics: Sennheiser VS Audio-Technica at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 9th, 2002, 01:32 AM   #1
ellett62

Boomed Mics: Sennheiser VS Audio-Technica

Hi everyone

I want to buy some good quality shotgun mics for use on a boom pole with my Canon XL-1. It seems the best quality out there is Sennheiser, but at over $400 per mic, I was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative (like A-T) with comparable quality.

Thanks.
Phillip
Old March 9th, 2002, 08:56 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Phillip,

In my opinion, and this is based on real-world experience, there really is no such thing as "cheaper but comparable quality." In this business you really get what you pay for, and actually $400 for a Sennheiser mic isn't bad. You'll probably be okay with Audio-Technica as well but just remember there is a world of difference between a $100 mic and a $600 mic. And then there's a world of difference between a $600 mic and a $3000 mic. And yes you can pay thousands of dollars on a single mic if you want.

"You traded the Cadillac... for a microphone? Okay, I can see that." Jake (John Belushi) to Elwood (Dan Akroyd) in The Blues Brothers, a John Landis film.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!

Last edited by Chris Hurd; March 9th, 2002 at 10:35 AM.
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2002, 09:37 AM   #3
ellett62

Thanks for the great replies, Chris. My current audio buying plans are as listed. Do you see any weaknesses or omissions as to mic accessories?

Sennheiser ME67K6 shotgun mic
Gitzo Boom pole
Audio-Technica Universal Shock Mount
some sort of windscreen (suggested brand?)

Anything else? Thanks again for the great advice.
Phillip
Old March 9th, 2002, 10:36 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I would suggest looking into LightWave Systems for the shock mount and wind screen. www.lightwavesystems.com -- the best to be found, and affordable too.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2002, 02:33 AM   #5
Quantum Productions

I agree with Chris! Lightwave is the way to go! You can bang around the boom and it's pretty quiet with any mic! I use a Microtech vocal mic (used for music recordings) and it sounds great in the Lightwave holders. If you just breath on this mic it will rumble! Lightwave wind screen eliminates this! Plus the system works right on the XL1. Order all 3 parts from Lightwave! Worth every dollar!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog