MA-200 XLR audio adapter questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 10th, 2002, 11:50 PM   #16
Major Player

The MA-100 provides much the same shoulder mount at a much lower price -- it has two XLR inputs. If you're not interested in the XLR inputs, there are probably better options.
The MA-100 does, however, make the camera more comfortable, IMHO.

Vic
Vic Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2002, 06:41 AM   #17
TruProductions

Extended questions about XL1s - please help!

Hi all,

Im about to dive into the world of XL1s retiring my VX2000 as my main wedding video camera. There are a few questions that I'd like to find answers to and I would appreciate your help or advice:

1. The MA200 attachment seems larger than the MA100, this might have a positive impact on balancing the camera onto the entire shoulder rather than sitting in front of your shoulder blade. Is there much difference between the MA100 and MA 200?

2. Battery life is a concern for me, Ive enjoyed great battery life my VX2000, how long will a BP-930 last in average use? If I put two batteries into the CH-910 holder does it effective double the time? (might be a silly question but i havent had the chance to fully test the XL1s as yet).

3. I've heard that Lexan batteries claim up to 6 hours, are they available for purchase in Australia?

4. The HC-4100 hard case seems attractive, I've never seen one but seen pictures of it. Is there much space to put accesories into this box? Is it sealed on the edges to prevent dust/sand/water from entering the box?

5. I feel that the focus ring built onto the lens is not responsive at all. Or at least not as responsive as my VX2000. Do you agree?

6. How durable is the XL1s?

I'd appreciate your comments and opinions on this kit.

Cheers,
Old January 11th, 2002, 07:33 AM   #18
RED Code Chef

i know the answer to one of your questions.
The XL1S is very durable if you handle her
good! She's made of an magnesium alloy
which is very strong. Just handle it good and
have canon clean her once in a while and your
set!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2002, 07:49 AM   #19
Major Player

MA-200

Never having used the VX2000, I can't answer your questions on the relative merits of the two cameras, but I might be able to help with your MA-200 and battery questions.

<1. The MA200 attachment seems larger than the MA100, this might have a positive impact on balancing the camera onto the entire shoulder rather than sitting in front of your shoulder blade. Is there much difference between the MA100 and MA 200?>

Yes, it is larger than the MA-100 and should be more comfortable to use since it does rest on top of your shoulder. But... it does not place a significant proportion of the camera weight on your shoulder. Most of the weight of the XL1 must still be carried by the arms. The MA-200 does have a sliding arm arrangement that will allow attached items (CH-910, wireless receiver, etc.) to be moved back several inches to alter the balance somewhat. This was not a feature of the MA-100. Check the XL1S Info section of www.DVInfo.net for other camera support options. Look in the Articles section.

I purchased the MA-200 for the 4 XLR inputs and am disappointed to learn that they can only be used with mic level inputs, even though the camera can be set to receive line levels through Audio 1 and 2. To receive line level signals you have to bypass the MA-100/200 and plug directly into the RCA jacks or closely monitor your audio levels going into the MA-100/200.

<2. Battery life is a concern for me, Ive enjoyed great battery life my VX2000, how long will a BP-930 last in average use? If I put two batteries into the CH-910 holder does it effective double the time? (might be a silly question but i havent had the chance to fully test the XL1s as yet).>

I haven't used the BP930 that much but I suspect you should get about 1 hr of constant record time. I have used the BP945 and am getting 2+ hours of recording time. That has been constant record mode with a pause only to change tapes. With that much battery life, I haven't yet needed to test the CH910 so can't comment on your other question. The CH910 literature indicates that current is drawn from both batteries at the same time rather than sequentially. Don't know what difference that makes, but just thought I'd pass it along.

Regards,
Ed Frazier
Ed Frazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2002, 07:39 AM   #20
Greenday Digital

G'day from WA

I purchased an MA-200 for my XL1s and at this stage I have not used the XLR inputs but I plan to and I will let you know they go.

The shoulder pad is not the best as the camera does tend to slide around on the shoulder but it is better that the shoulder pad that is supplied with the camera.

cheers

Greenday
Old January 13th, 2002, 04:19 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

If you need a good, solid shoulder support for the XL1, consider Harold Greene's SP7-Pro, in the Support section of the Articles Menu on the XL1 Watchdog. I can tell you from experience that it kicks much butt. Check it out,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2002, 06:48 PM   #22
TruProductions

Do they sell to international buyers? Im in Australia!
Old January 13th, 2002, 10:55 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Send Harold an e-mail and ask him. I'm trying to get Harold together with Tom McKay so that VariZoom can sell his SP7-Pro through any VariZoom dealer worldwide. Try contacting my mate Paul Hackett in Canberra, he might be able to import one. The trouble as you know is the ridiculous expense of shipping anything down there.

Old February 3rd, 2002, 04:44 AM   #24
akram007

MA-200 for XL 1?????

hi,
Can I use the audio adapter MA-200 (4 xlr +BNC) for the XL 1 ??? or is it only for the new xl1s ?

thanks
akram
Old February 3rd, 2002, 08:26 AM   #25
Major Player

Yes, the MA200 will work with either model.
Old February 3rd, 2002, 01:46 PM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Please read my page on the Watchdog called "The XL1S Skinny." All camera bodies, lenses and accessories are completely interchangeable between the XL1 and XL1S. Hope this helps,

Old February 3rd, 2002, 04:25 PM   #27
akram007

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Please read my page on the Watchdog called "The XL1S Skinny." All camera bodies, lenses and accessories are completely interchangeable between the XL1 and XL1S. Hope this helps, -->>>

a friend told me that I can not use the 4 xlr inputs of the MA-200 with the XL1 !!!
Old February 3rd, 2002, 05:11 PM   #28
Obstreperous Rex

<< a friend told me that I can not use the 4 xlr inputs of the MA-200 with the XL1 ! >>

Not true. You *can* use all four XLR inputs on the MA-200 with the XL1. See the Articles section of the Watchdog, look under Audio for an Introduction and Four-Part Guide to XL1 Audio. Hope this helps,

Old April 1st, 2002, 10:43 PM   #29

Ma200

I am thinking about buying the MA200 audio adapter for my XL1s.
One thing mystifies me - from the photos that I have seen - the two RCA connectors from the MA200 are seen plugged into the audio 1 port at the rear of the camera. How is that going to give me four channels of sound?

Is the actual hookup - one wire to audio 1 and the other to audio 2 at the side?? Again, how is that going to give me four channels of sound?

What am I missing here?
Old April 1st, 2002, 10:57 PM   #30
Obstreperous Rex

Two more RCA cables (included) connect between a pair of RCA jacks on the right side of the MA200 and the pair of RCA "Audio 2" input jacks on the right side of the XL1 handle. These extra cables are very often eliminated from the product photos but they are indeed included. Hope this helps,

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog