MA-200 XLR audio adapter questions - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 2nd, 2002, 12:03 AM   #31

Thanks Chris - that explains that! (You ARE burning midnight oil!)
Old April 2nd, 2002, 09:59 AM   #32

Next question - what is the power mini-plug used for? Is that phantom power for the mic inputs? Or power-in from an additional battery or two?

I have also noticed that I have to convert the 12 bit audio to 16 bit in Premiere (for it to play correctly). I am trying to decide whether to go with a field-mixer or the MA200. I prefer editable audio lines so I am leaning toward the MA200. I supposed I could get both.

The one thing that bothers me with using the camera as a sound mixer is that Audio 1 channels are not so much mixed as balanced (turning one up turns the other down).

I wonder if there is room on and in the MA200 to add a couple volume controls for channels 1 & 2.
Old April 2nd, 2002, 02:51 PM   #33
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Randall3 : Next question - what is the power mini-plug used for? Is that phantom power for the mic inputs? Or power-in from an additional battery or two?. -->>>

The power cable is strictly to provide power to the active electronics inside the MA-200. It does not provide phantom power.
Old April 2nd, 2002, 08:11 PM   #34
Wrangler

Audio 1 has a ganged level and a balance control. Audio 2 has individual level controls.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2002, 12:02 AM   #35
Regular Crew

To all MA-200 users,

When considering buying a case for your XL1S with the MA-200 attached, beware of those cables sticking out the side. Don't think they'll last too long going in and out a tight fitting bag, unless you're always watching it.

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2002, 03:27 PM   #36
Wrangler

MA 200 question

Just recently bought the MA200 adapter for my XL1, everything looks fine and seems to be working, but I have a few questions:

Does the 5V DC input drain the onboard battery quicker? If so does any one know how much?

I have a Sennheiser wireless receiver but how are people attaching it to this adapter? At the moment I am just clipping it to the extra metal bit, which If I were to suddenly move the camera, or somebody walks into it i feel that it might fall off. Any suggestions on how to secure the receiver?

Thanks,

Ed Smith

P.S.
I never released that the left and right audio outputs on the back of the camera were also inputs (I think they are described as audio 1). You learn things everyday with this camera, it just amazes me!!!
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2002, 10:35 AM   #37
Wrangler

Given that posts were lost. The answer is that the MA-100 (and no doubt the MA-200) present a very small battery drain and should not reuslt in a significant reduction in available run time.

I, and a number of people have used the heavy duty velcro-like plastic stuff to attached items to the vertical flange on the MA-100. Can't say whether or not it is adequate for the Sennheiser wireless unit.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2002, 11:30 AM   #38
Wrangler

Gorrilla Velcro Should Do...

I mount my Sennheiser SK100 receiver to the side of the handle on top of the cam, on the tape door side (NOT ON THE TAPE DOOR!!!). The only time I have knocked it off is when I shove my hand through the handle.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2002, 01:36 PM   #39
Wrangler

Thanks for the posts again.

I went up in the loft to find the box for the reciever, and found that those guys at Sennheiser have kindly supplied me with heavy duty plastic velcro, how kind. I have now attached this to the metal plate on the MA200, and it ain't going no where.

Thanks again,

Ed Smith
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2002, 09:47 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Receiver mounting with the MA-200

I seem to remenber reading some place that you can attach your wireless receiver to the MA-200. How is this done. My current receiver can attach with a clip or shoe mount. I'm considering buying the Nebtek monitor, which means I need another way to mount my receiver.
Old July 13th, 2002, 10:51 PM   #41
Obstreperous Rex

Go to the XL1 > Watchdog Articles Menu > Microphones & Audio. There's an article about this topic using the MA-100.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2002, 03:14 PM   #42
Regular Crew

The MA-200 is even easier than the MA-100. I've mounted an Azden 400 receiver with no problems, and it's hard to imagine a heavier or bulkier wireless receiver :-(. I don't have the additional battery holders, so just slide the receiver, onto the mounting plate for the battery holders, and use Velcro(tm) to keep it in place. The little clip thing on the left of the plate helps stabilize it further.
AlexOsadzinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 02:38 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Low audio out of MA-200

I'm using the Azden SGM-2X with my XL1s via the MA-200. The resulting audio, even at full gain, is much too low to be of any use. I tried several dynamic studio mic's with the MA-200 with the same results. Yes, the power connecter is attached and yes I've switched to the Audio 1 inputs. What am I missing?
Old July 25th, 2002, 03:24 PM   #44
Warden

Set the internal menu to mic, your using a mic. This is the menu that appears in your viewfinder. Set the input switch to Audio 1. The input switch is on the side of the camera. This tell the camera where to look for the audio. Audio 1 is the RCA jacks. For a more detailed set of instructions refer to pages 52 and 26 in the XL1 instruction manual. If your mic requires a battery, double check that the battery is good. I've bought my share of dead batteries from mass merchants (Walmart).

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 04:18 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Oh it turned out to be my own stupidity. I thought I had set it on Mic input, but when I checked again it was Line Level. I guess I forgot to punch the wheel when I selected it.

I am a bit disappointed through. The S/N ratio of the MA-200 is not all that great. I made up a shorted XLR plug to see if it was the mic or the MA-200 and it was the MA-200 (or MA-200 / XL1A combination). You'd think for that much money they could have done a better job of it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog