Please suggest Nikon lenses for Nikon-to-XL1s adaptor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:56 PM   #1
New Boot

Please suggest Nikon lenses for Nikon-to-XL1s adaptor

I've ordered the Xl1solutions Nikon to XL1s adapter, which I understand take still AI mount still 35mm Nikon lenses.

Can anyone suggest, from their own experiences, which affordable Nikon lenses work best with the adaptor.

I understand good AI mount lenses can be obtained on e-bay, but I am also willing to consider buying new.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
C.J. Cookson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:01 PM   #2
Warden

What are you shooting? You realize there will be a large magnification factor with 35mm lenses on a 1/3 inch chip camera?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:07 PM   #3
New Boot

Type of shooting

I'm shooting general studio scenes and the magnification factor shouldn't be a problem.

The problem I'm having is that I'm not too familiar with still lenses, but chose the Nikon adaptor for the Xl1s based on good reports.

Any suggestions for specific lenses members may have, based on their own experiences, would be really helpful at this stage of my experimentation.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:49 PM   #4
Warden

I've used many of Nikon’s primes and can recommend them, 135mm F2, 85mm F1.8, 50mm F1.4, 35mm F1.4 and 24mm F2. Some Nikon primes may be may be AF lenses. I would recommend using the MF lenses as the feel is better for focusing. But with a magnification factor of 7.2X it would take a huge studio for some of these lenses.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 02:55 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions... it seems it would probably be best I try out a 35mm lens first - something like the Nikon Nikkor AI 35mm f1.4 lens? Should be good for small studio work I believe? Regards, C.J.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 09:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Nikon Lense

C.J.,

Please do not waste your money on a bloody 35mm prime lens. Why? A 35mm Nikon lens is automatically converted into a 142mm lens when you use Barrett Bilotta's Nikon-XL1 adaptor.

I was naive enough to buy one of these adaptors from this guy, and I've learned my lesson the hard way. Barrett Bilotta refused to issue me a refund. If you do decide to keep the adaptor, please consider a Sigma 12-24mm wide-angle zoom or 15-30mm or 17mm-35mm. You'll find them to be more useful for your video productions.

What you'll get out of these photo lenses is a slightly sharper, more saturated video image. What you'll lose is the ability to record wide-angle shots and the usage of the optical stabilizer.

Good Luck!
Jason Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 01:06 AM   #7
New Boot

Jaysus!

That's worrying. I've never heard anything like that in any of the reviews. Thanks for the info!

Regarding Sigma 12-24mm wide-angle zoom or 15-30mm or 17mm-35mm lenses, do these fit the adaptor okay and what kind of equivalent mm and distorted image have you found using them?
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:05 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Focal-Length Conversion

C.J.,

A 12mm will be converted to a 86.4mm ( A 7.2X Increase) The 12-24mm isn't a fast lens. The maximum aperature opening is a 3.5. I have not noticed any distortion in the image. The reason why I suggested a company like Sigma is becuase it is more affordable than Nikon.

As I've stated previously, what you are getting out of the photo lenses is accurate color reproduction and clarity.
Jason Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:42 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Clarification

Just to clearr things up if you look at this pacticular lense adapter that is being talked about here, it only has a 2x magnification. Xl1sonlutions also makes a canon lense adapter that is 2x also. This is a vast improvement over the 7.2x for the adapter canon offers.
Neo Castillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:53 PM   #10
Trustee

If you want to get more details about manification effect with mechanical adaptors, look at this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=16272

Mizell Wilson, from ZGC, does a very good explanation of this effect from different adaptors on the market.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:03 PM   #11
New Boot

Thanks!

It's not excatly an easy subject for me to get my head around, but I'm going to take all the advice 'on board' and adjust my approach to using this adaptor. A couple of borrowed lenses as suggested may be best to test!
Old November 5th, 2003, 03:25 PM   #12
Sales: Reflecmedia

C.J.

it's a difficult subject that is hard even for veteran's to keep straight. i've been hashing through it with friends to try to come up with a more straight forward answer.

what you have to keep in mind is that a lens is a lens. without optical adjustment that lens will take on the characteristics of the format it's being used on.

An 8mm nikon will look just like the 16x manual servo set at 8mm. A 50mm will look like the 16x set to 50mm. It's just that in 1/3" video 50mm is very telephoto whereas for 35mm motion pictures, 50mm is the "normal"

if you want to get wider then any of the canon lenses, the mechanical adapters will not help. if you are otherwise happy with the focal length range of the canon lens but just want better glass, then it's a perfect solution.

personally, if you haven't received the adapter yet I would consider refusing the shipment and giving Optex in London a call, it should work out to be cheaper.
Old November 5th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #13
Regular Crew

CJ,

I echo Mizell's last comments if you haven't already received the adapter. Optex are very good but literally just across the water from you in Wales is a camera engineer called Les Bosher with years of experience. See his website

www.lesbosher.co.uk/default.htm

Dread to think what you have or haven't paid XL1 Solutions for the adapter, postage and probably tax when customs stop it but Les Bosher prices are cheaper than Optex. He quoted me £129.25 for that adapter. Hows that compare?

Best

Gareth

PS.Guess who made some of these adapters aswell for XL1 Solutions!!
Gareth Trezise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 01:21 AM   #14
New Boot

Adaptor

That sounds about 2/3rds of the price the XL1 solutions charged.

I did try contacting Lee Bosher first, but he displays no prices on his site for the adaptor, I couldn't get through on the 'phone and two e-mails went unanswered. Still, as the adaptor was prepaid weeks in advance and has already been received, I'll see how it performs. With XL1 solutions, I got very prompt and couteous replies. So, even if it's more expensive, as long as the quality and magnification are pretty much the same, I'm not too upset.

The bottom line, as long as the magnification increase is as advertised at x2, I'm looking for increased quality from better glass, not a wider angle, and hopefully more control over depth of focus. I'm still trying to find a reasonably good Nikon or similar AI mount lens on e-bay that doesn't sell for an arm and a leg... but that's another story!

I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to help with this rather awkward subject, and the replies have certainly given me plenty to think about. Whatever happened to the good old days of a cardboard box and a pin-hole in the front to let the light in over 12 hours for one image? Yep, those were the days!
Old November 6th, 2003, 04:13 AM   #15
Regular Crew

CJ,

Oh well never mind. Glad you are not too upset but I think you will be when you find out it's not x2 magnification.

Actually, if you have already received it I guess you know that by now?

It would be interesting to see some short comparable clips posted if you think different.

Cheers

Gareth
Gareth Trezise is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog