Lens adapters. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 04:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Lens adapters.

I'm looking for some input on lens adapters for the ol' XL1s. I'm currently aware of the Canon EF adapter, the (apparently very expensive) P + S Technik, and the new adapter from XL1 Solutions that the Watchdog just wrote up. I was wondering if anyone could help me out, share some experiences and maybe tell me how and where I can find out more information. I make narrative shorts, and constantly strive for a 'film' look with my videos.

Thanks!
Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:03 AM   #2
Wrangler

What other information are you looking for?
THe P+S system is the way to go, if you can afford the rental fees.
The EF adapter is mostly useless for film making as it multiplies the lens' length by 7.2 times. a 35mm lens will become a 252mm lens on an XL1. Great for shooting wildlife. Useless for interior scenes.
Read the article on the XL1 solutions adapter, and make your own conclusions about it. It's somewhat still up in the air.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:10 AM   #3
New Boot

Well, I was hoping to get some reactions from people that either own or have shot with different lens adapters. I am accustomed to film cameras that allow you to change lenses based on conditions or directorial decisions, and am pursuing the same flexibility with my XL1s. Specifically, I want to use wider lenses than the 16x that comes with the camera, but don't want to invest in Canon's wide angle that they manufacture specifically for the XL1s.

So thanks for the info about the Canon EF: that certainly won't help me find wider lenses!

I guess I'll just twidle my thumbs until the P + S Technik demo DVD arrives...

Thanks.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:28 PM   #4
Wrangler

IMHO The Canon 3x wide angle lens is one of the best investments you can make with that camera. I use mine for about 70% of what I shoot, my 16x stock lens for about 25%, and my 14x manual for about 5%.

If money is no object, then by all means, the mini35 is the way to go. I think everyone here will agree on that.
Old October 24th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #5
New Boot

Manual Lenses

Dylan:

Can you tell me a little more about the manual lens? I haven't had a chance to toy with it, but I'm one of those filmmakers that likes to have all the figures right on my lens, so I can measure my focus, etc. I'm curious how well focus calculations, etc. work with the manual lens, or if you prefer the digital ones...

Thanks for any input!
Old October 24th, 2003, 04:27 PM   #6
Wrangler

Hey Chris
You might want to check out this article, which goes into details about all the lens options for the XL1. I am selling one of my 14x manual lenses if you are intersted.
The 14x is a great lens, full manual control and barrel markings. And possibly a little bit sharper than the stock 16x lens.
Old October 29th, 2003, 10:18 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks for the response, Dylan. I have to admit, I am interested...not sure if it's in my price range. At least for the next couple of months. Email me with the details, if you can.

Also: does anyone know anything about that '35mm equivalent' measurement for the lenses? Admittedly, I haven't shot on 35mm film before, but it would seem to me that focal length and format are entirely independent concerns.

It seems that the factor is about .14x; I'm just trying to figure out what the rules for this equivalent are.

Thanks!
Old October 29th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #8
Warden

No need to post twice, I responded to your other post.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #9
Sales: Reflecmedia

Chris,

If you check this post

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...537#post109537

you'll see that we've determined you cannot go wider then the stock canon lenses while using a mechnical adapter, whether it's Optex's or xl1solutions'

the only way to take advantage of wide angle 35mm lenses is the P+S

that being said, the mechanical adapters offer wonderful benefits for various shoots, just not all shoots.

mizell
Old October 30th, 2003, 10:41 AM   #10
New Boot

Thanks for layin' it out, Mizel.
Old October 31st, 2003, 10:30 AM   #11
Regular Crew

To Expensive

I can't understand how it is good market strategery to make these adaptors so expensive. I'm sure almost everyone with a digital cam would love to be able have access to this kind of stuff at a reasonable price.

Michael Hamilton
Michael Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 10:38 AM   #12
Trustee

I think that the price of this adaptor is not so expensive when you compare it with the price of the lenses you must use with it.

Most people will rent the adaptor and the lens when they need it to do some serious work.
Old October 31st, 2003, 11:15 AM   #13
Regular Crew

To Expensive

I understand. But it seems to me that the makers could realize more profit if they lowered their prices, enabling many more people to buy or rent their products. Any way, I feel shut out.

Michael Hamilton
Michael Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 09:08 AM   #14

I am familiar with the XL1solutions EF adapter as I have one of the early prototypes. If you own any older Canon FD prime lenses, this adapter is really quite useful, and the older Canon FD glass provide excellent images with lower DOF than 8mm lenses. I've put a few frame grabs up on a website for anyone who'd like to look. The URL is:
www.cybermesa.com/~cuervo/download

I will be posting more images to this site as I develop experience with the lens/XL1s combo.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 11:49 PM   #15
Wrangler

Re: To Expensive

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Hamilton : I understand. But it seems to me that the makers could realize more profit if they lowered their prices, enabling many more people to buy or rent their products. Any way, I feel shut out.

Michael Hamilton -->>>

Buddy, I feel the same way about Ferrari.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog