XL1s camera-mount light recommends? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 12th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1s camera-mount light recommends?

I'm looking for the best camera-mount light for theXL1s - one that has its own battery. Are there others out there that fit on the XL1s other than Canon's own and how do they rate?
Dan Gutwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 11:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

on cam lights

Dan:

I've used both a Frezzi mini fill and a AB ultralight 2 on my cams, these are normal ENG lights that I power off AB batts. Both are great lights although I do prefer the Mini Fill. My model has the dimmer on it, the ability to dial in just the right amount of light, and the ability for a wide/long throw really makes that my choice.

There are several battery options you can use with it if you dont want the AB Expense. BH a board sponsor carries them as do probably a few other sponsers. There is one frezzi kit specifically for the XL1 that powers of NP-1 for about 5-600 dollars that mounts off the ma100/200. If you get one of these some form of diffuser is also something you might want to consider as well.

Ive also heard people speak favorably of the PAGlight which I dont have experience with but you might check that out at BH as well.......

The top systems will probably run around the 350-600 but you get a great light for that cost.

Hope this helps, if you search xl1 and light theres a lot of good information there as well it helped me make my choice

M
Old November 13th, 2003, 11:26 AM   #3
New Boot

Good choice looking for a separate battery unit. LCD's and lights are the two biggest power wasters on normal cameras.

A lighting SETUP is normally better for shooting, but if you're working on-the-spot and not shooting for films, movies or pro video projects (like I do), a camera light will work fine.
Old November 14th, 2003, 12:07 AM   #4
Major Player

AB rocks!

We use the Anton Bauer TrimPacs with all of our XL-1s cameras and love them.

The UltraLight 2 is powered directly from the battery so we don't have to worry about a second battery. This is especially helpful as the secondary battery will usually be of a different make and will require a different type of charger.

We also use the "SoftBox" for up-close interviews. It provides a soft, even light that is perfect for this type of application.

From one of my previous posts:

"The TrimPacs were a completely different story. A fully charged TrimPac ran the camera in record mode, with a 50watt bulb continuously burning, for 35 minutes straight. John (AB tech support), thought it would go about 25 minutes...pretty close.

His estimate with a 25watt bulb is about 1 hour 20 minutes, and, in record mode... without a light...an impressive 4 - 4 1/2 hours of straight record time."

The added weight of the battery makes the camera more comfortable to shoulder as the weight in back helps to balance the camera's front heavy tendencies.

RB
Old November 14th, 2003, 12:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

ab another good use...

Rick:

If youre a "embed" next week you can also unlatch the ab and throw it as a means of self defense if necessery. And if your are doing that will you take a pd150 style camera? just curious seems like a better cam in a rough situation with the lcd ...

M
Old November 14th, 2003, 07:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Michel,

Good idea, I'll start peeling all of the "property of" stickers off our batteries today!

As members of the Department we are not embeds and yes, we are on the front lines of the Field Forces. We are using 2 XL-1s cameras, 3 TRV-950s, 2 VX 2000s and a BetaCam with a gyrozoom for the helo.

We also went to the Studio 1 SkyPods with remote camera controlers...they work great, especially since we can shoot over the lines.

RB
Old November 17th, 2003, 11:29 PM   #7
Regular Crew

miami

Rick:

should be a very busy week for you, bet you get amazing stuff while the conference is on especially since you will be in the "thick" of it.

Having had our camera position attacked and overun outside elians house(which you may have seen on your local news :) and the day of joy on the streets after he was taken....I still have only a brief idea, of what you may expect, especially since your goal will be to get this footage even when the rest of the cameras have run away to safety...

stay safe

M

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog