Extended Canon warantee? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 15th, 2001, 10:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Extended Canon warantee?

Does Canon offer a longer ,optional warantee than standard 12mo? Considering a GL1 but dead pixel problem is a concern- just rented one with this problem. No info at Canon site.
Henry Czuprinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2001, 10:33 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

Canon's warranty is for one year only, this applies to all Canon digital imaging products.

If you need a longer warranty, purchase your GL1 from either Ultimate Electronics or Sound Track (all over the Western USA, do a web search). They are retailers who offer an outstanding five-year service plan for about $250. If you never have a repair, they refund 50% at the end of the term. This plan includes free camera cleanings as often as you want. They are coordinated with the official Canon USA service centers.

You'll pay a little more for the camera but if you want an extended warranty, this is the way to go. Ultimate Electronics and Sound Track are the *only* retailers who offer a service plan that I actually recommend. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2001, 05:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Good warranty plan, bad price. They want $4,499 for the XL1S.

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Howdy from Texas,

Canon's warranty is for one year only, this applies to all Canon digital imaging products.

If you need a longer warranty, purchase your GL1 from either Ultimate Electronics or Sound Track (all over the Western USA, do a web search). They are retailers who offer an outstanding five-year service plan for about $250. If you never have a repair, they refund 50% at the end of the term. This plan includes free camera cleanings as often as you want. They are coordinated with the official Canon USA service centers.

You'll pay a little more for the camera but if you want an extended warranty, this is the way to go. Ultimate Electronics and Sound Track are the *only* retailers who offer a service plan that I actually recommend. Hope this helps, -->>>
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2001, 06:22 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

<< Good warranty plan, bad price. They want $4,499 for the XL1S. >>

$4500 is still below MSRP and any price below MSRP is a good price. Besides, the poster is asking about the GL1, not the XL1S.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2001, 06:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

ooooppppppssss Chris! I guess you hog tied me on that one.

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : << Good warranty plan, bad price. They want $4,499 for the XL1S. >>

$4500 is still below MSRP and any price below MSRP is a good price. Besides, the poster is asking about the GL1, not the XL1S. -->>>
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2001, 05:09 AM   #6
Wrangler

On GL1's from Ultimate - got my GL1 16 months ago from Ultimate Electronis in Albuquerque, open box but new with accessories still in the sealed bags, and the unit and box were clean with NO signs of use or prior sale and no problems since I got it. Final price was better than any of the good mail order outlets at the time. Sometimes it pays to shop while on th road - and maybe I was lucky. But enough non XL1 stuff in this forum..
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2001, 04:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

warantees

Thanx for info- Unfortunalely the pertinent local dealers are asking top dollar for the GL1- now if Ultimate gets a web retailing site- this might change.
Henry Czuprinski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog