XL1 play/rew/ffd functions stopped working for a while.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 6th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1 play/rew/ffd functions stopped working for a while..

I have a XL1 and are using it fairly regularly. I shot some video over the weekend and wanted to edit it (90 minutes 1.5 tapes) So I played it back from Canon XL1 to PC via firewire to capture it. Set it to video mode and it played. I rewind it to the beginning (as it was not at start of tape then). This happened while using buttons on camera and not PC control. When I pressed Play on camera, no reaction. Pressed FFD - no reaction, tried the remote - no reaction. PC could not control cam either like it used to - so firewire also 'stuck'. When switched to recording (any setting) it worked 100%. The quick review did not want to work either at that stage. Thought something might have been wrong with tape. Changed it with other tapes: all had same problem. Unplugged firewire, Powered camera down, took lens off, took power off (powered via AC at that stage), changed to battery power, back on - no luck. Kept camera off for a while and tried again. NO problem - it has been working ever since without a problem!

Any idea what could have been wrong?. Could one of the playback buttons been 'stuck' preventing play/rew/ffd-signal to go through? No problems so far with this great cam - had me worried for a while though!

I do clean the cam regularly with compressed air (tin)

Regards
Danie Pretorius, Kruger Park
Old November 6th, 2003, 05:22 PM   #2
Wrangler

I might suspect some conflict with the NLE and cam more than anything else. I use a different NLE, I did have a similar problem once, though everything worked after I disconnected from the computer.

One other thing to check are your batteries. If you batteries are old the levels out of the batts can cause weird things to happen. Also don't forget about the button cell in the handle.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 08:47 PM   #3
Wrangler

Not sure whether or not this will help, but some systems like to have the camcorder connected via firewire and powered up before the PC is started/booted.
Old November 7th, 2003, 12:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you for the replies. I suspect the computer as well.

The batteries are fine as I used the mains supply when the problem crept in!

Happy camming/editing and thanks for a wonderful forum to air and solve issues like this. I do visit this site very often - reading wonderful ideas all of you share from your weatlh of experience!

Best regards from sunny South Africa
Danie Pretorius

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog