anyone using the sennheiser evolution 100 series - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 15th, 2002, 09:13 AM   #16
Wrangler

Gorilla Velcro.

Gorilla velcro is a nickname for the other type of velco. Both strips are identical, unlike the more common hook and loop. Its like a bunck of very, very small nail heads and when engaged provides for a much firmer hold.

You can knock the receiver off the handle even with gorilla velco. However, it will not shake off like it can if you are using hook and loop.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2002, 09:44 AM   #17
Wrangler

What is a CL100?

I haven't had any problems at all with Ew112p. The SK100 (trnsmitter) even works fine with my Shure hand mic.

You do have to learn how to set the device, both the transmitter and receiver. The manual is not the greatest. Most manuals seem to written for people already familar with audio gear and wireless systems than us more common Joes/Janes (or is Janes/Joes?).

The transmitter (SK100) has 4 gain settings: 0, -10, -20, and -30dB. I generally leave mine set to -10dB. That's really the only setting on the mic you should ever have to use unless there is a frequency conflict. You may have cause to use the mute button, but that can be more trouble than its worth.

On the receiver (EK100) the only soft panel setting worthy of note is the squelch. In noisy RF environments you might have to work that one. The knob controls the audio output. I do not have it cranked up all the way. I will make some fine adjustments on that control when I set up and then do everything else on the cam as needed.

Its true there is only one audio output jack on the receiver. That has never been an issue with me. I listen through the cam, with the audio output set to mix so I can hear all 4 channels. By pressing the monitor button I can select the configuration I want.

I still think this system is excellent. It has never been a moment's trouble. It is made of metal, not plastic. I have dropped more than once and it continues to function. Battery life is excellent. Reproduction quality is very good, even for a lav.

To me the only thing better than this gem is to have two of 'em.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2002, 04:16 PM   #18
Major Player

Replacement kit arrived, after testing the lav, plug on, and receiver, I found the 100 system has very good sound. Does need just a little more gain in volume so I don't have to pump it up so high but I can live with that.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2002, 06:29 PM   #19
Wrangler

I bought the EV 100 from B&H back when they had their $300 special for the bodypack transmitter and receiver. I also bought the sugar-cube transmitter which works well after adjusting its sensitivity. Another $200.

I more recently purchased the integraded dynamic microphone/transmitter. sort of disappointed with it because of handling noise. And it is no more sensitive than the sugar-cube/SM-58 combo which is a much better microhone for hand-held purposes.

My system came with both min-jack and XLR cables.

I just hang the receive of the strap of my PD-150 although I intend to make a drop-in tray for the bottom. sort of like an XLR adapter.

Talking with the Sennheiser folks at NAB, I was please to find out that the 300 and 500 series products will also work with the 100 series. Just some of the goodies like reporting back battery strength may not work.

I have found that cell phones and pagers can cause some problems with the system. At a recent wedding, the DJ asked eveyone to turn their phones and pagers off, not mute them but turn them off.

He had an AT system and noted that the phones and pagers could cause problems.
Old June 30th, 2002, 06:51 AM   #20
Wrangler

Realize that there are different bands for the Evolution.

The Evolution comes configured to run in one of 5 bands 32MHz wide with 4 preset channels (on the 100 series). The presets can be changed.

Some bands may be more prone to interference that others. Generally the better retailers will help you in selecting the band that is best for you.

I have version C (740MHz-772MHz) and have never had a problem.

Nathan Gifford
Tickfaw, LA
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog