XL1S imaging problem/question - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:38 PM   #76
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ozzie,
That may be the most significant bit of information to help us leverage Canon toward expedient resolution of this matter.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2002, 01:46 PM   #77

Ken/Ozzie....

If what Ozzie is saying is right, then there must be a "fix". As I said earlier, my VX1000 has vertical black bars up both sides of each frame. If the PD150 doesn't have any, then, I guess I can assume Sony found a way to eliminate them. (I also assume the PD150 grew out of the VX1000)
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2002, 02:29 PM   #78
Regular Crew

I think that there's a ray of hope that this isn't directly related to CCD size, although Pete's posting about 270,000 pixels is very interesting. Boy, this is a confusing area, isn't it?

The black bar problem exists, at least on my camera, in 16:9 mode, too. By eyeballing the Firewire output in both 4:3 and 16:9 modes, I can see that the black bar is there in both cases, although slightly less tall, maybe 1 pixel less, in 16:9. The camera appears to use all of the 720 horizontal pixels in both modes, but it's clearly not using the top or bottom of the CCD(s) in 16:9.
AlexOsadzinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2002, 10:21 PM   #79
Obstreperous Rex

My reply here functions only to move the thread to the top of the list. Every Monday morning, Canon USA swings through to read the boards, and I wanted this one to be noticed. As I said earlier I am also passing the full contents of this thread along to certain people at CUSA. This has not been forgotten about.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2002, 03:56 AM   #80
RED Code Chef

I am starting to wonder if we are going to hear from Canon about
all of this. It is a little bit too quiet for my taste. Anyone heard
anything yet? Chris?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2002, 07:06 AM   #81
Obstreperous Rex

Corporations tend to move with the speed of a turtle... ponderous and slow and careful. I'll see what I can find out.

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:25 PM   #82
Regular Crew

A small piece of additional data: the internally-generated color bars do NOT have the black line problem, i.e. they seem to fill the frame.
Old May 7th, 2002, 02:48 PM   #83
Trustee

Because I'm thinking about buying an xl1s, I contacted Canon to get some information about this problem, and got the typical company rhetoric

"In regards to the lines on the Canon XL-1S camera in playback mode, I suspect that this would occur due to a setting not correctly done on the camera.

The Canon XL-1S is an extremely versatile camera, and care must be taken to ensure that the camera is configured properly before you commence shooting."

I doubt it's just a setting, but has anyone managed to get rid of them through different settings? Regardless they shouldn't occur, unless there is a setting called

"Put two pixels of black at the bottom of the image"
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2002, 03:15 PM   #84

a setting? no way...no how!!
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2002, 03:43 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Well, now I feel really stupid. I looked on the camera, and, sure enough, there's a little button on the bottom hidden under a rubber panel marked "mess up the image".

Seriously, I got a similar response when I first called Canon tech support. First, there's no obvious setting that would cause this problem. Second, I tried a lot of things to nail the problem down by process of elimination, per my earlier postings.

I'm quite prepared to discover that there's an INTERNAL setting to fix this. But there doesn't seem to be one that's accessible by the user.
Old May 7th, 2002, 04:37 PM   #86
Major Player

>>"In regards to the lines on the Canon XL-1S camera in playback mode, ...<<

In "playback mode"? Funny, I can see the lines on an underscanned monitor while we record. I wonder if Canon knows what anyone is talking about?

Regarding the "setting not correctly done in the camera" -- that might be true if Canon is the one who didn't setup the camera correctly. (Notice the ambiguity in the language.) I think that gobbledigook is insulting to the very experienced technicians I've had look at the problem. Their only dissagreement is whether it's due to shoddy blanking set up at the factory (which can be adjusted by Canon), or a simple design flaw (which can't be easily adjusted if at all.)

Canon really has to come clean and deal with this problem. Stop feeding loyal customers this kind of condescending and infuriating baby talk. Canon must know that many of these "loyal customers" are not amateurs but professionals with a wide array of testing and measuring gear at their disposal.

Just to rub it in again -- the SONY PD150 does NOT have this problem.
Old May 7th, 2002, 11:10 PM   #87
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<< Ozzie: "Just to rub it in again -- the SONY PD150 does NOT have this problem." >>

This evening I attended a film presentation sponsored by National Geographic featuring a remarkable young Australian journalist (Michael Davie) who travels the world to tell stories-within-the-stories. He generally uses a Sony PD-150. His footage, often taken under stressful, less-than-ideal conditions looked outstanding. And no blanking problems! <g>

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2002, 01:40 PM   #88
Regular Crew

blanking

I pick this off of another newsgroup, does this answer any of the questions posted, or is it more run around?

"> Using Adobe Premiere I've noticed that when I export single >frames
>of my DV footage (PAL 720x576), there are always two black >bars on
>the left and right sides of the image, about 5 pixels wide each. I
>began to wonder where these empty spaces come from. This is >not
>particularly annoying, but I got really curious about where the >two
>sides of the image data might get lost...

This happens in NTSC because DV captures a square pixel (which is
also what VGA uses). NTSC Television however has a pixel aspect
ratio of 10/11 or about .91. So DV is either 'letter boxed' into the
NTSC frame, or is distorted to fill the frame. The NLE software
software I use (Vegas Video) gives me this option during rendering.

I understand that PAL does not have a square pixel either (59/54 =
1.09). So presumably you would have the same 'problem' only in the
other direction.

Even though it is un-noticeable, I don't like the word 'distortion',
so let Vegas 'letter box' my files and sacrifice a bit of the screen
(which in your case is about 10 pixels)."
Jerry Bixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2002, 02:03 PM   #89
Obstreperous Rex

Jerry, can you specify this source? Thanks,

Old May 8th, 2002, 02:05 PM   #90

what you're saying doesn't make sense to me, jerry. If the DV video size is 720x480 in NTSC and the pixel ratio is .91, then the effective image size would be 720 x 436 (=480*.91). That's an effective letterbox that is 480-436=44 pixels....much more than the 10 pixels we are experiencing. What am I missing, here?

I've got VV3 and will try changing the pixel ratio as you have suggested, however, I think a 9% distortion will be noticeable.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog