XL1S imaging problem/question - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 24th, 2002, 01:58 PM   #166
Major Player

Ken:
Correct

Bill:
Like I said, I believe this is an NTSC issue, not a Canon issue. But I'm not the expert in this area. And I believe the PD150 has the same thing as well, despite what was said in this thread. I'll try and run a test when I can. But go ahead and flame away (or better yet, post an example).

The only reason I posted this was to add some "facts" to the thread. I was really only seeing anecdotal evidence (except of course your image post bill) and some assertions that $900 dollar cameras don't have this problem. I happen to have a $900 Sony so I tested it, exact same issue.

Also, there were assertions that "professional" equipment shouldn't have this issue. Hence, my check with the DSR500. Again, the same problem. But in this camera they dealt with the blanking issue differently. I believe my Sony VX1000 did the same thing (except I think it favored the left edge).

When I have more time I'll pull out some VX1000 tapes, capture them, rent a PD150, grab a friends VX2000 and post those as well. Sorry, I don't have much time.

Got to go paint my office.
Justin Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 02:06 PM   #167

I'll confirm that my own VX-1000 has this problem on both vertical sides of the image frame.

Also, WRT a cheaper camera that doesn't have this problem....my handheld for "snapshots" is a progressive scan JVC JY-VS200U that DOES NOT have this problem. Admittedly, it has other problems, but at least the image frame is clean.

Please understand that my BIG objection to the blank pixels is in regardsto the havoc it causes with modern compression algorithmns like MPEG2. A great deal of effort and time was spent to develop these algorithms, but, they can be negated by black bars in the image. Cropping is not an option because of the resolution loss, potential moire, and requirement to re-render all cropped image data.

All this is fine for a consumer level camera. NOT for a prosumer. I'm shocked to learn that the hi end cameras display this "feature".
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 03:51 PM   #168
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

For the record, my GL1 seems to have vertical lines on both sides of the frame, but not on the top or bottom. (Sounds identical to Bill's VX1000.)

I wonder if anyone's looked at JVC's "Streamcorder" camera yet, since it's marketing angle is laser-focused towards full-frame platforms such as the Web.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2002, 01:44 PM   #169
Obstreperous Rex

Don't know about the Streamcorder, *however* I thought you guys might be interested to know that the GL2 does *not* have this issue and indeed records a *full* 720x480 image. This is one of the first things I checked, and CUSA confirms it. CUSA also confirms there are no plans to change the XL1S. Figured y'all would be glad to know that the GL2 is a full 720x480.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2002, 04:21 PM   #170

Now -that's- interesting! To a degree I think it will make some people even more irate with the XL1s problem since it's apparent that Canon knows how to avoid the problem.

I noticed that there are a few (more) XL1s' offered for sale here. ;-)

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old June 28th, 2002, 04:25 PM   #171
Trustee

Dunno if this is just coincedence but in my many month long search for a camera, I have never seen any XL1's or XL1s' for sale in our local trade and exchange paper. Yeterday I looked and found 1 XL1 and 2 XL1s' Haha. The xl1s' were being sold for more than what I can get them new unfortunately..
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2002, 11:39 AM   #172
Registration incomplete -- contact admin

Does anyone know if this "black bar" will show up if the video is transfered to film or does one have to specifically tell the transfer company to crop it out?

Revolver1010.
Revolver1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2002, 12:28 PM   #173
Obstreperous Rex

When you deal with a film transfer house, due to the amount of money involved, you'll be discussing many things several times over. I believe that most if not all places have to crop the upper and lower portions of the image anyway. So I don't see how this is an issue for going to 35mm film. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2002, 12:31 AM   #174
Regular Crew

hello,
i know this might be a bit dated, but i came up with this thread for searching for something (can't even remember what exactly now). anyways looking at some things i decided to go to an xL1s. while this problem probably wouldn't effect me i do wonder about something.

chris mentioned earlier in the thread that canon's take about web/cd/multimedia delievery of video would be to "crop to tv safe areas". ok i could understand that view. but if this is the case, why offer/boast about the "edge to edge" , "fullframe" clarity on the gL2? it just seems that canon would be a bit hypocritical with that take on it.

ps. i don't know if there is another thread regarding any final word from canon, but is there? thanks.

matt
Old December 24th, 2002, 12:40 AM   #175

Matt,
Chris summarized Canon's position on this matter in the following thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=5629

Basically, it seems to be a completely dead issue on the current XL1s. Since the GL2 does not seem to have this problem we can only hope that the XL1s successor will not either.

Old December 24th, 2002, 12:50 AM   #176
Regular Crew

ah, thank you for the link. i think i was searching for cases or warranty and some how came up with that. it still looks like a great rig for my purposes though. thanks again :)

matt
Old December 31st, 2002, 02:48 PM   #177
Major Player

Back from the grave, and posting on very old threads. ;)

This topic always interests me, don't know why. I guess I'm a geek.

Anyway, like I've stated earlier, I've found that your capture format might effect this issue.

I captured the first image from an old broadcast quality analog card, with its capture software. The second is a firewire in Premiere.

http://www.monsterrocket.com/mini35/test/AA1analog.BMP
http://www.monsterrocket.com/mini35/test/AA1digital.BMP

As you can see they look different.

So not be beat a dead horse, but can someone capture GL2 and an XL1 using the same capture device and playback deck?
Justin Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2002, 03:04 PM   #178

Welcome back from the "dead", Justin and Happy New Year!

Very interesting. I'd love to help but (a) I've no analog capture device and (b) the GL2 is free of this problem. I get wall-to-wall image with mine.

Old December 31st, 2002, 03:10 PM   #179
Wrangler

The only thing that's going on here, Justin, is the analog card image is sampled (-16,-1) with respect to the digital image, so you've got more black columns on the left of the analog capture, a row of black pixels at the top, and you lose a row of useful pixels at the bottom and a 10 columns of useful pixels on the right side of the image.

Additionally, you've actually provided two slightly different frames, probably no more than 1 frame (or 0.5 frames) apart. Note the slight motion in the man's hand and the woman's left tendrils when you align the images up in an image editor and shift back and forth between the two.

I wouldn't capture with the analog card any more. Not only do you lose image integrity, you lose useful pixels.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog