Adapter to fit onto the XL1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 17th, 2001, 10:48 AM   #1
MTC FILMS

Adapter to fit onto the XL1S

What is the best Adapter to fit onto the XL1S?
besides the canon one?
Is there a better image from other CO Adapter to fit onto the XL1S?

Thanks
Old October 17th, 2001, 12:27 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

What kind of adapter, Mark? There are several different types, the most common being wide angle...?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2001, 12:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Adapter to fit onto the XL1S

Mark.....What kind of adapter? There are many types. Wide angle, Telephoto, Fisheye lens, Anamorphic, Macro etc. My telepathy settings in my browser are not working right now......

Michael Pappas

<<<-- Originally posted by MTC FILMS : What is the best Adapter to fit onto the XL1S?
besides the canon one?
Is there a better image from other CO Adapter to fit onto the XL1S?

Thanks -->>>
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2001, 01:08 PM   #4
MTC FILMS

Sorry
to put 35mm lens on the xl1s
Old October 17th, 2001, 01:20 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Mark, we're starting to narrow it down!

Now what we need to know is, what kind of 35mm lens? There are 35mm still photo lenses and 35mm motion picture lenses... two entirely different kinds of animals.

Within these two types are several different manufacturers, each with their own method of mounting to a camera. So you would need to know the make and model of the 35mm lens in question before you can obtain an adapter for it to mount it to an XL1.

For example...

If you had a Cooke 35mm motion picture lens with a PL mount, that would require a certain type of adapter to use with an XL1.

But if you had a Nikon 35mm still photo lens, that would require a completely different type of adapter in order to use it on an XL1.

If ya see what I mean.

So, let's narrow it down a little tighter, and ask: specifically, what kind of 35mm lens, as many details as possible please? Hope this helps,

Old October 17th, 2001, 02:28 PM   #6
MTC FILMS

I don't have any 35mm lens yet but I was going to go with Nikon 35mm photo lens cuz I can get used one very cheap.
Old October 17th, 2001, 02:40 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Okay, Nikon 35mm photo to Canon XL mount: see my sponsor ZGC, in your area apparently, as they are the US distributor in New Jersey for Optex, out of England. From the ZGC website:

http://www.zgc.com/html/adapters-mounts.htm

Under the category of "video adapters" you'll find the Nikon SLR to XL adapter by Optex for $265 (this is a very good price by the way). Contact Barb Lowry at ZGC for more info.

Just be advised that *all* 35mm still photo lenses, including Nikon, have their focal lengths multiplied by a factor of 7.2 when used on an XL1. For example, if your Nikon lens is a 50mm, it will be a 360mm telephoto on the XL1. So whatever kind of still photo lens you're getting, I want you to be aware that it becomes an extreme telephoto lens when used on an XL1 (as described in the Watchdog FAQ). Hope this helps,

Old October 22nd, 2001, 03:10 PM   #8
New Boot

Chris,

It should be mentioned that there's also the P+S Technik 35mm adapter which eliminates the 7.2X multiplier factor. http://www.zgc.com/html/p_s_technik_mini_35_adapter.htm

This may be out of most people's budgets but it sure is an interesting product in that the original angle of view and depth of field of your 35mm lens is retained. It gets you much closer to the "film-like" vision we all strive for with our XL1's and XL1s'.

e
bitnaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2001, 05:45 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, no, the P+S Technik 35mm adapter is specifically for PL-mount 35mm motion picture lenses. That's entirely different from 35mm still photo lenses, which is the topic in question here. Thanks though,

Old October 22nd, 2001, 08:38 PM   #10
New Boot

Ummm...Chris, that's not true. Here's the description from the Features list on the www.zgc.com web page for the P+S adapter

"Use any 35mm film lenses with Arri PL mount, Nikon mount or Panavision mount. The unit comes with the PL mount.* Nikon mount for attaching Nikon 35mm still lenses or Panavision mount for Panavision lenses will be available very soon."

e

PS I'm very interested in mounting my 35mm Nikon still lenses and having the exact field of view and depth of field that I'm used to with 35mm photography...however, at $6500US+, I think I can wait on this one :)
bitnaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2001, 08:51 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Hmm, well it looks like I'll have to eat crow on this one... over the years I have developed an appetite for this particular bird. It is an aquired taste, let me tell you.

Thanks for setting me straight. I think the best market for this adapter will be in rentals. Hopefully the weekly rate won't kill ya like an outright purchase will!

Thanks again,

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog