Filter problem: does anyone have any idea? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

does anyone have any idea?

has anyone else in here ever experienced this:

(and i guess this might not exactly be an xl-1 issue but since i shoot with the xl-1 with the standard 16x lens)

but when i first got the camera i got a few filters to go with it... uv and warming. while i was playing around with footage i had shot i noticed something dark in the bottom left hand corner of the screen, what i thought looked like a hair. it drove me bonkers for a couple of hours cause as far as i could tell every part of the lens and camera were clean, until i realized i had put the warming filter on top of the uv filter. so i took both off and the dark "hair" was gone. so i was satisfied that i had just extended the rim of the filter into the cameras view...

but now while editing a short i shot with only one filter attached i think i am noticing the same thing. not near as pronounced as before but still on certain shots, ones with light, muted tones filling in the bottom of the screen i seem to be noticing what looks like shadows.

what could be causing this? is something inside my camera causing this or how the lens attaches or, in the lens?
Chet Hardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 08:19 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Where did you get these filters? Who makes them, are they Hoya, Tiffen, Canon or some other brand?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 08:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

they are tiffen and i got them at b&h.
they are 72mm.
Old May 9th, 2002, 08:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

chris, you seem to be leaning toward the filters as the cause. if that is the case why would the, is it called vignetting, occur in only three of the four corners?
Old May 9th, 2002, 08:53 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

I was curious about the filters because if they were cheap no-name jobs then that might be the problem. But since they're Tiffen, I doubt that's the case. We need to get a filter expert in here... I'll see if I can find one. Meantime this issue is wide open.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog