XL1s quality vs sony vx 2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 17th, 2004, 08:09 AM   #1
New Boot

XL1s quality vs sony vx 2000

Which one has a better quality supposing one does not change the initial setup of each camera at all? I've never used a sony vx 2000 but been watching the shorts a friend of mine makes and they look VERY good
Afonso Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

my opinion

I shot a feature using both cameras [Sony VX 2000 and Canon XL1]. My preference, for our project specifically, was the Canon. The Audio on the Canon was far suprerior to Sony, that went without argument. I preferred the shots we had acquired using the Canon, and my project partner preferred the Sony. There was a difference that you could notice between the two, visually, so it was ALL personal preference. If pressed, neither of us would change our opinions either.

The Sony came in handy when we would steal shots without permission as it looks closer to a regular family camera than does the Canon. But if it were my decision alone between the two cameras you are mentioning, I would choose the Canon.

Let it also be said that I do not own either so I am not giving you a loyal owner's rendition of whether to buy a Ford or a Chevy Truck.

That is my brief take based on my experience with both.
Pete Balistrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #3
New Boot

I own both and...

...I have found that the Sony just destroys the Canon in "dark" situations, where you may not have access to proper lighting. The Sony's "night" features are very impressive. (if this is important to you)

other than that, I too would take the Canon. I prefer the way the final product looks. Other than that, they are both incredible cameras.

Regards,
PMB 152
9457 S. University Blvd.
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Patrick Catanach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 05:29 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Quote:
they are both incredible cameras
Agreed. And all cams have their strengths and weaknesses.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #5
New Boot

since i do not need to change lenses on the camera, would it be stupid to sell it and buy a sony? the night images i've seen with the vx2000 are superior to the canon i think and that DOES make a difference to me.

i would hate to go through the hastle of selling it, but if the vx2000 is indeed a better camera i would...

also, for the price i can sell the xl1s, is there a better camera i could buy?
Afonso Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #6
Trustee

I own the VX1000, owned the PD150 (basically the VX2000 lens and CCD) and most recently bought an XL1s which I use with a mini35.

I'm not sure what features exactly you want to compare, but the VX2000/PD150 hands down produces an image with higher looking quality, resolution than the Canon - especially in low light situations. The Canon however has something extra special to its color.

A VX2000 will not dissappoint you and now that the VX2100 is out with even lower light capability you should be able to pick one up for a really good price.

It is true however that the VX2000's when they were first released had problems with their audio when in 'manual' mode. This was a major let down but the problem is circumvented by using an external mixer to increas the gain of the microphone or audio signal before going into the camera's audio circuit. I can't remember now if they ever fixed this problem or not, but I believe they (Sony) did not.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #7
Major Player

I agree with Patrick, they are both incredible cameras and both do a wonderful job in bright light.

BUT...

The SONY is hands-down, no bulls**t, the absolute winner in low light. The Canons, and we have six of them because of the lens changing capabilities, are light hogs!

RB
Old February 18th, 2004, 01:57 AM   #8
Outer Circle

Quote:
...the night images i've seen with the vx2000 are superior to the canon i think and that DOES make a difference to me.
The VX2000 is not that much better in lower light. A bit, yes, but not a whole lot.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:35 AM   #9
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Alfonso,
As you might be concluding from the replies so far, "better" is a relative assesment when it comes to these cameras. Your selection should be based on your intended usage/applications.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:13 AM   #10
Trustee

Ken makes a really good point as far as basing your desicion on the intended usage/applications. I might also add to think really hard about some of the features as well. ie. lens, LCD screen, audio connections, iris control, etc..

One thing I can't stand about my XL1s is the fact that the gain jumps from 0db right to 6db. Where the heck is 3db when you want it? The Sony has more increments of exposure.

Again, all this depends on what you are looking for. So tell us, what exactly are you planning to use the camera for?
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #11
Wrangler

The most important thing to realize is that whatever camera you buy you will be impressed.

All cams have their good and bad features. Very few good/bad features are generally apparent.

Too many people have either or both cams and do quite well. Make a list of what you like and how you shoot and your (may) become more clear...

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 03:18 PM   #12
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Hello Alfonso,
As you might be concluding from the replies so far, "better" is a relative assesment when it comes to these cameras. Your selection should be based on your intended usage/applications. -->>>~

pretty much just short films... was hoping to shoot a few at night... that's why i think the XL1s may not be too appropirate... but i guess id be losing a lot of money if i sold it.. might stick with it and see what i can do it... I guess i'll buy an XLR adaptor from beachtek and a varizoom lcd..
Afonso Campos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog