XL1s With FireWire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 26th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1s With FireWire

Why canon didn’t include firewire cable in Xl1s package? Any idea what kind of cable to buy? Is Canon Xl1s possible to output video thru Firewire cable (DV Firewire 1394) to computer ?
Old April 26th, 2004, 02:20 AM   #2
New Boot

You need a 4pin / 6pin Firewire cable.
Michael Sibbernsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 02:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Michael. coz i getting Canopus DVraptor RT2 max. Hope it will work fine....
Old April 26th, 2004, 04:03 AM   #4
Wrangler

Why?

Because the firewire cable is normally supplied with the editing package rather than the camera.

You will probably find out that you will not need to buy a separate cable.

Hope this helps,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

The camera manufacturer has no idea whether you need a 4-pin to 4-pin cable for laptop editing, or a 4-pin to 6-pin cable for desktop editing. They can't afford to provide both, so neither one is included. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Cables

The DVraptor RT2 max includes a 4pin to 4pin cable. It will also work fine with the XL1s. I bought one a few months ago.

Donie
Donie Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #7
Tourist

software

My Dell Dimension 4550 doesn't have 6pin...*sign* I have to buy 4pin to 4pin for the laptop.

what software are you using to edit your movie?

Just curious
Toan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi
I've just switched to a powerbook g4 (mac) and I use final cut pro now.

I've used all the editing software and I found Pinnacle Edition (liquid) one of the best, especially for rendering. Premier is good but I hated having to wait for it to render. Bought a raptor card and edius 2.0. Raptor had serious problems in parts of premier. Sold the whole lot on ebay and bought a mac. Problem solved.

I'm sitting outside now as I write this with the powerbook. Nice powerful platform and geared up for everything I need of it, including wireless. Not cheap but I now know I don't need anything else to do my work ;)

Donie
Donie Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Donie, Currently i used DV raptor RT2MAX wit hEdius 2, U mention raptor got problem with premiere? Can you give me more detail on this matter
Old May 9th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Andrew

It has problem supporting the stuff it does best. I forget the details but I was very frustrated with it. Latest adobe drivers may improve matters but I'm not sure and I don't really care anymore.

Edius is good and works very well with the raptor. Found the timeline a bit clunky though with the lack of nested sequences a problem for me.

Anyway, at the end of the day they get the job done. Both have their strengths. I used to use both.

Donie
Donie Kelly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog