remote that controls autofocus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 11th, 2004, 07:22 AM   #1
New Boot

remote that controls autofocus

Is there a remote zoom control that will also operate the autofocus on/off with the XL1s?
Richard Klimesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

See the Varizoom VZ-Rock.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

That page says the "A" button doesn't work on the XL1S because the switch is a manual switch. It said it DID work on the GL2.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #4
New Boot

Yes, the reference to the manual focus switch on the XL1s is what prompted my question. What I want to do is leave the lens in Manual Focus and then remotely activate the Push AF button to auto focus from time to time. So, I'm looking for a remote zoom controller that will activate the Push AF feature. Anyone?
Old April 11th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #5

Richard (and Ed),
Sorry for the ambiguity in my article. The VZ-Rock's focus rocker will manipulate the 16xII auto lens' focus control when the lens is in Manual Focus mode. But, alas, it will not activate the Push Auto function. The Zoe also did not operate Push Auto.

I've never tried a Bogen/Manfrotto or a Canon controller.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old April 12th, 2004, 09:40 AM   #6
New Boot

Canon's description of their controller sounds like it will not operate the PUSH AF either. Hmmmm. I'm running out of controller options.
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:27 AM   #7
Major Player

Excellent question! I have often wondered why Canon did not include this functionality built into the ZR1000. The focus in/out buttons on the remote are perfectly useless.
The trouble is that the "push a/f" button is mechanical acting upon an electronic switch inside the lens.
Once I recall seeing an xl1 where an exposed wire was siliconed to the lens switch and then crudely wired to the "photo" button next to the start stop button. What a great spot for this temporary focus override.

You might want to try that, but I would doubt you would have any warranty coverage remaining.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:36 AM   #8
New Boot

If I were more electronically confident and willing to forego the warranty I'd try that. So, apparently, there is no way to control the XL1s AF Push via a LANC? If so, that would make it a camera wiring issue, more than a controller issue, right? But if the AF Push IS able to be activated via LANC, why on earth hasn't a controller mfgr. added it to a controller? Geesh.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:29 AM   #9
Regular Crew

That's what I have been searching for over the last few months for use on my Glidecam V16 stabilizer and found nothing. I'm also looking for a similar device that would "rack" aperture as well as I don't want to be touching the camera while it's in motion.
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:34 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Folks

I found this LANC controller that is suppose to do "Push Auto" focus.

Any comments if this is true?

http://16x9inc.com/zoe/dvlanc.shtml
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:41 PM   #11

Norman,
See my review on the main section of DVInfo.

Old May 1st, 2004, 07:31 PM   #12
New Boot

What a disappointment - to have the "push auto" work on the GL2 but not on the XL1S. I am bummed as it looks like I'm out of options. On the verge of just buying a Stealth and doing the manual "guess" focus.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:59 PM   #13
Major Player

The main reason you buy a zoom controller is, to control the zoom lens. Duh. So don't let a shortcoming in the lens design lead you to buy a lesser quality controller. There are better zoom controllers than the Stealth. Do a search here for some of the negative comments, so you have the info you need to make a sound purchase decision.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #14
New Boot

I thought you would find this exchange with the Zoe distributor:

TO: info@bebob.de
Are there any plans for a controller that will operate the "push focus" and "auto/manual" focus controls on the Canon XL1s? As far as I know there is not a controller on the market that will do this.
Best Regards,
Richard Klimesh

Dear Mister Klimesh,

Many thanks for your inquiry. Indeed there is no controller on the market allowing Push Auto and AutoFocus Remoting for the XL-1S.
The reason is that the camera can be fitted with different types of lenses. Some of these lenses doesn´t have a focus motor, so that Auto Focus and Push Auto doesn´t work. We think that for this reason, the camera doesn´t recognise the standard LanC Codes for Push Auto and Auto Focus. We think that the problem
would be that the camera tries for example to get the picture sharp, but the lens cannot do it. The camera software would then perhaps come into a loop, and you would have to reset the camera.

Sorry that I couldn´t give you some better news.

kind regards, Pierre Boudard

bebob
Old May 8th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #15

Thank you for sharing that, Richard. If Pierre says it, it is so. He's a very good authority on the matter.

As an aside, in the professional camera realm many remote controllers actually connect to the lens, not to the camera directly. That is, the lens hosts the control interpreter. As such, the lens actually runs the camera to a degree.

But that doesn't help us here. Well I guess someone's going to have to develop a special Push Auto remote controller that features an actuator that squeezes that button on the lens.

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog