canon XL1 alignment problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 20th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #1
New Boot

canon XL1 alignment problem

tape records and plays back ok in my camera, but when i put the tape in another deck there are glitches in the sound and sometimes in the picture, like dropped frames.

i hate to think i have to duplicate all of my tapes from my camera to a deck.....so far that seems to be the only solution.

a few people i disc'd this with indicated they had seen this with Canon.

any thoughts & suggestions?
Scott Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #2
New Boot

Try cleaning the heads in your deck a few times and see if that helps.

Good luck.
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Scott,
a. Are all of the tapes recorded in SP mode?

b. What deck are you using? Is it your deck or a rental? (Gary's suggestion applies particularly if the latter.)

c. Have you tried to replay the tapes in anything other than that deck?

There is no reason that I know of to assume that Canon's transports and heads are somehow inferior. I currently own, or have owned, every high-end Canon miniDV ever made and have never encountered anything I would consider an intrinsic design or engineering flaw in this regard.

Still, it is not uncommon for a video camera's heads to lose alignment. With respect to the XL1S, Canon actually encourages an annual cleaning and check-up for cameras used frequently.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 12:22 AM   #4
Wrangler

deja vu

Hi Scott,

By any chance, are you using Sony tapes and/or a JVC deck?

If so, from what I've observed, there may be a problem with the combination (XL1s, Sony, JVC), but no one knows. Last I heard from guys on this forum, JVC was still looking into it.

We gave up last summer and returned the deck. We've also just switched to Fuji tapes because one of the cameras was still having trouble with Sonys, even after Canon replaced some assemblies (transports and heads must have checked out). So far, so good.

Hope you find a solution soon!
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #5
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Gary Walter : Try cleaning the heads in your deck a few times and see if that helps.

Good luck. -->>>

Thanks,

Cleaning the heads might help, but tapes recorded on 2 other XL-1's and a GL-2 play ok in my deck. It is definitely a problem with my camera.
Scott Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #6
New Boot

Re: deja vu

<<<-- Originally posted by Lorinda Norton : Hi Scott,

By any chance, are you using Sony tapes and/or a JVC deck?

If so, from what I've observed, there may be a problem with the combination (XL1s, Sony, JVC), but no one knows. Last I heard from guys on this forum, JVC was still looking into it.

We gave up last summer and returned the deck. We've also just switched to Fuji tapes because one of the cameras was still having trouble with Sonys, even after Canon replaced some assemblies (transports and heads must have checked out). So far, so good.

Hope you find a solution soon! -->>>

thanks, it's not the tape.....same tape recored in other cameras, plays ok on my deck.
Scott Weiss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog