Grabbbing a decent photo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Grabbbing a decent photo

I took a look at cannons website recently and ventured into the picture section where they had grabbed some pictures from the XL1. I tried myself but could get nowhere near the clear pictures they had. Is this just because canon have taken a perfect video picture and grabbed it, ir is there a special way of grabbing video footage and turning it into a picture. I grabbed the picture from Adobe Premiere Pro by the frame. If you go to the link below they also have different size pictures, the larger the picture, the better the quality, is it just a case of saving the picture with larger dimensions ?.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Prod...PageID=26350#1

Many thanks for any help

Andy
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:20 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

It doesn't tell you which camera the photos came from. I highly
doubt any of those camera from an XL1S.

The XL1S is not good to use as a photo camera in my humble
opinion. The resolution is way too low (720x480). Get a decent
photo camera.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:23 AM   #3
Wrangler

Heh, if ANY of those pics came from an XL1 unaltered, there must be something wrong with mine. :)
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:22 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Those photos were certainly not taken with the XL1S' "Photo" facility. Clearly they were taken with one of Canon's cameras that feature a flash card photo facility and a higher resolution of still photos.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 12:00 PM   #5
Wrangler

Yeah I agree, you can't get that high resolution from the XL1s (Its highest res is 720x576 PAL). All of those pics are higher resolution.

As mentioned they look like they have been taken with the XM2 or other canon camcorder that uses external memory, and can produce an image thats 1 megapixel or higher.

All of those picture have great sunny lighting. that will make most of the differences as well.

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 12:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thnaks Guys. I thought that what you`ve all said was the case. I just needed to check to make sure I wasn`t missing something.
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I was confused about that as well, I got all excited, started waving my arms and yelling to my girlfriend "Hey honey! look what our video camera can do!!!" Then I thought about the footage I got from my camera, although extremely nice, it wasnt anything near to the high resolution of those images...I guess the ef adapter with the 35mm lenses wouldnt do much for the picture either.
Christopher Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog