Telephoto Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 16th, 2002, 01:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Telephoto Lens

Greetings

I am going to be shooting a documentary in Kenya, Africa. Kenya is known for many things including there great safari's. I really want to get a good telephoto lens that will help me get some good close ups without getting close (for obvious reasons). I am trying to find an adapter for my standard XL1s lens.

Anybody got any suggestions?
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2002, 01:40 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

What is your goal: to use 35mm lenses with your XL1s or to use your XL1s lens with a 35mm camera??

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2002, 01:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I would like to use the standard lens that comes with the XL1s. I am looking for a lens attachment that will give me a large telephoto shot. I have seen the century 2x telephoto screw on lens at one of the sponsors. I was wondering if there is one with more magnification to fit the standard 16X IS II Lens that came with my XL-1.
www.katanapro.com
Old July 16th, 2002, 02:49 PM   #4

Ah, so you plan to use your XL1s camera and want to boost the lens' reach.

Perhaps the best course would be to get the Canon EF adapter for the camera. It would enable to use any of the many top-notch EF lenses that Canon makes for 35mm still shooters. I believe that the adapter will actually double the lens' focal length on the XL1s.

I think Chris has some info on the EF adapter on the Watchdog portion of this site. You can also Search for "EF" posts; it's been discussed very frequently.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old July 16th, 2002, 06:58 PM   #5
Wrangler

The EF adapter results in 7.2x multiplier with respect to equivalent field of view when compared to a 35mm film camera. That is, a 200 mm 35mm camera lens on the XL1 with the EF adapter has a field of view comparable to a 1440 mm telephoto lens on a 35 mm camera.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2002, 09:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi,
Why not get the 1.6 extender, it makes your stock lens close to 1000mm.
If you go beyond that, you will show a lot of shakeing on your tape, it can be hard with the 1.6, no less something bigger.

Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 11:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

OK

Lets look at it from a limited budget standpoint. What is the most cost effective way to get the best results?

Or, should I just go for it and get the new lens and adapter? It is not like I will be going back to Kenya everyday. It is pretty much a get it right the first time deal. We will be in Kenya two weeks, but we will be moving to various locations.

I will check out the watchdog. Thanks everybody : - )
www.katanapro.com
Old July 17th, 2002, 02:32 PM   #8
Warden

I've been to Kenya a couple of times. The first bit of advice is to get lots of zip lock bags. August is the dry season and the dust is incredable in the northern parts (Samburu). A trip to Africa for most people is a once in a lifetime trip. You don't want to come back saying, I wish i bought the other lens, I wish I bought the other lens. If it were me going, Big IF, I would take three lenses. The 3x wide angle for scenery, sunsets, Masi Mara Plain, Great Rift Valley, etc.. The standard 16x for most of shooting. The image stabilization will come in handy in the vans that you'll shoot out of. But sometimes you just can't get close enough with the 16x. For those few occasions I would get either the 1.6x Canon or the Canon Ef adapter and a Canon EOS lens. The later being more expensive, but producing the best results optically. The next tier down would be the Century Precision adapters that go on the front of the lenses. http://www.centuryoptics.com/ OrTex has some good adapters also. The US dist. ZGC http://www.zgc.com/ is also one of this sites sponsors.

Use bean bags to steady and prop up the camera in the van when you shoot out the top. Image stabilization will really come in handy. The vehicle always seems to be rocking with everyone moving around to get a better shot.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 11:43 AM   #9
Trustee

If you are really serious about reaching (far) out and bringing home great close up images buy the EOS and the Canon 100-400mm IS. About $2K, but the video is the BEST. I ponied up, and though in CC debt another $2K, it was worth every penny.

I bought the 1.6 canon extender previous. While it is much cheaper
at about $400, the results are softer and "cruchier" than the EOS
EV 100-400 IS, though most people are still impressed.

The 16X/1.6 extender combo at full zoom is about what
the EOS/EV 100-400 is at 100.
The color saturation produced by the EOS/EV combo is much superior. BUT, don't try to zoom with the EV lens. It is almost impossible to get pleasing
results.

Carefully consider where and how you'll be shooting if you go EOS/EV.
The slightest movement (like other passangers moving around) will
_ruin_ your day. A superb tripod is also required. I use a vinten vision 3.
That was another $2K! In addition, you should probably figure on
rigging a tripod plate that supports both the camera and the lens.
Large, long and heavy. Canon warns you about this issue.

If you have to stay in the vehicle with other passengers moving around
I would tell not to buy the EOS/EV combo.

Good luck and have a great time!
Old July 19th, 2002, 08:37 PM   #10

Take a look at the main Watchdog site (dvinfo.net) for a look at a real big ol' honker. Click on IMAGE GALLERY, then on "My Glass Is Bigger Than Yours". You'll see a 1200mm Canon prime lens stuck onto an XL1s (or, perhaps it's more appropriate to phrase that in reverse). Whew!

Old July 20th, 2002, 03:38 PM   #11
Trustee

Yeah, I saw that monster and wondered how you could even get a usable image. As you know, turns out you can't ;)
Old July 20th, 2002, 04:13 PM   #12

Guess we'll have to spend our $80,000 elsewhere.

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog