XL2 Wish List - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 7th, 2004, 08:43 AM   #136
Major Player

WHat happens if the XL2 moves futher consumer than pro as a prosumer camera?

What if it shows up with some highly compressed HD to fit on mini-dv tapes, no XLR inputs, a flip out LCD, and a fixed lens?
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:04 AM   #137
Major Player

What happens?

Well, if it comes out without XLR inputs and a flip out LCD and fixed lens, then it probably won't be called the XL2. Canon would probably name it something like....oh, I don't know...the GL3?
:)

Seriously, if that happens, then it will be a big dissapointment.

Interchangable lenses have defined the XL line since the L1 cameras came out over ten years ago. There is no way that Canon would lose that functionality now. It is the one thing that has set them apart at that price level. If they release a camera without interchangable lenses (like the GL1, GL2) then it would not be considered part of the XL line.

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #138
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by John Threat : WHat happens if the XL2 moves futher consumer than pro as a prosumer camera?

What if it shows up with some highly compressed HD to fit on mini-dv tapes, no XLR inputs, a flip out LCD, and a fixed lens? -->>>

Simple. I'll get a DVX100a instead ;)

Aaron
Old June 8th, 2004, 04:44 AM   #139
Wrangler

FWIW, a poster in a Canon forum elsewhere on the web claims to have spoken with someone in the know - and that the next generation XL1 announcement should be out in July. That is consistent with the nominal 3-year life of Canon's high end camcorders over the past 13 years. A July announcement would probably indicate indicate a September availability in the US.

No information as to its specs, but an indication that the price point will be somewhat lower - probably driven by the VX2100/PD170 price points.
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #140
Major Player

Don,

That matches up with what was said in the Area 51 thread as well:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=27075

By the way, I went to the forum you mentioned, and it looks like the post you saw isn't there anymore. Instead I found a thread talking about why it was deleted....
hmmmmm

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #141
Obstreperous Rex

Luis, the thread that Don mentions on the other board -- which was deleted by their admins -- basically was an anonymous report from somebody who insisted they had been told by someone "in the know" that an XL1S replacement was definitely going to happen in July.

This guy's "proof" revolved around the XL1S rebate expiration date. Well for crying out loud, we've been discussing how rebate expiration dates can often signal new products, and we've been mentioning that for years around here.

It's as if that anonymous poster had a stunning revelation, which he would have realized is common knowledge if he had only been a regular reader here. Guessing new product arrival dates ain't rocket science. If you study history, then you can predict the future... a fairly simple and straightforward process.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #142
DVX User

yeah... its funny though how this exact prediction for the XL2 has been happening for almost a decade. Every year someone says "my dealer just told me they are getting them in next month"

Just seems like there are more concrete sources for this time around.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 11:52 AM   #143
Obstreperous Rex

It's already about fourteen months late in my opinion.

Old June 20th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #144
DVX User

heh heh.. Yeah, I agree, but you know as well as I do that there where 2 things that prolonged the release, first was the DVX, I dont think Canon had any idea how 24p would affect the market, and second last years implementation of HDV.

I think it will be quite the camera though, if it does every come out.
Old June 20th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #145
Obstreperous Rex

Except... HDV hasn't been implemented... only announced. To this day there is not a single HDV camcorder available for purchase (the JVC HD10 doesn't count, it's only pseudo-HDV). It'll be the end of this year at the earliest before anybody can actually buy an HDV camcorder. That gives an XL2 only a six-month window, but I have a feeling it'll sell well into next year no matter what does or doesn't happen with HDV.

Old June 20th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #146
DVX User

Yeah.. the JVC kinda counts because it implemented the standard, given; its a shody implementation, but IMHO it still counts, since the actual format is used, The CCD's or body doesnt have much to do with the actual format, its kinda like the difference between the Canon $500 Elura and the XL1, they both are Mini-DV cameras.
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:27 AM   #147
Major Player

The HD-1 isn't pseudo-anything--for all its unforgivable shortcomings--single chip and all--it is a vast leap in image quality over any other prosumer on the market and the once-great dinosaur that is the XL-1 can only ignore it at its own peril.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:36 AM   #148
Wrangler

<<it is a vast leap in image quality over any other prosumer on the market>>

Betsy, given the inherently increased resolution of the format, in what other ways do you feel the HD-1 has superior image quality?
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:37 AM   #149
DVX User

<<<-- Originally posted by Betsy Moore : The HD-1 isn't pseudo-anything--for all its unforgivable shortcomings--single chip and all--it is a vast leap in image quality over any other prosumer on the market and the once-great dinosaur that is the XL-1 can only ignore it at its own peril. -->>>

I think you should change that to "vast leap in resolution" as the HD-1 arguably has the worst image quality of ANY prosumer camera on the market.. but as you mentioned it is mostly due to its lower quality optics and single chipped CCD.
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:38 AM   #150
DVX User

Heh Heh Charles looks like you snuck one in a second before me :)
Jarred Land is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog