A Lesson In Xlr - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 25th, 2003, 03:01 PM   #31
Wrangler

Signal levels will ultimately depend on the gain setting and the output impedance of the mic being used, and the mic's output level ratings.

A very low impedance high quality mic (say, around 150 ohms) is not likely to care much one way or another if you parallel the 600 ohm input, but a 600 ohm mic will see increased signal loss when its load is paralleled, and may be more prone to clipping/distortion at high sound levels.

For best mic performance it is usually best to mix/pan the sound in post.
Old February 15th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Xl1S + Ma-100 + XlR micro..don't work

I connected my XlR microphone on my ma100 of the XL1S but that's not work !
Should that function automatically?

or do I have a setup has to make ?

thank
daniel
Daniel Limoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #33
Warden

If your microphone requires a battery make sure it is fresh. If you microphone requires phantom power, you'll need an adapter. The MA 100/200 do not supply phantom power. Make sure the cables from the MA-100 are plugged in, including the small power supply cable. Follow the instructions in the manual for setting the menus in the viewfinder and the switches on the side of the camera (behind the white door). If you continue to have problems post back and include the make and model of microphone.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #34
Regular Crew

model :
AKG c417 pp...condenser microphone

Do i need phantom power ?
Daniel Limoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:41 PM   #35
Warden

Yes, the pp in the model designation means Phantom Power. Search phantom power in this forum and you'll find many suggestions on devices which meet your needs.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #36
Regular Crew

XLR MA-100 Problem

I just purchased an MA-100 XLR - plugged an unidirectional Dynamic microphone with 15 foot of microphone cable XLR to the left port in the MA-100 - when the mic was turned on, I could barely get 35 on the scale in manual when the voice was talking in a normal volume. Upon playback on TV, I had to turn up the TV volume all the way to just barely hear the conversation - plus turning up the TV created a hiss / hum in the background. I used a small clip on amplified MIC that is powered by watch batteries on the front small jacks (audio 2) and it was recording levels just fine. Why isn't the XLR recording as well??

I just figured it out....make sure (in camera mode) you go to menu, then to VCR set up and then to Audio 1 IN (make sure it is in MIC) and then it should work fine....I'm getting a scale on one or the other side....to get both, you will need an XLR splitter.

Last edited by Dean Orewiler; February 11th, 2006 at 05:41 PM.
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #37
Tourist

same problem as my friend here.

Im having the same problem, although this has been brought up a number of times before on this board- iv'e still not found an acceptable answer.... I've just purchased a Rode - NTG-2 Directional Condenser Mic for My Canon xl-1. I have a ma-100 adapter, and Beachtek dxa-4c to go between. I have new xlr cables and everything was set on the camcorder correctly. But i am getting little, if not no sound. when switching to manual and cranking up the record level it picks up a few bars on the audio moniter. but still is way too low to record anything atall.

I have tried the same equipment with my friends dynamic microphone, some old sanyo mic, and the audio is fine. I have tried putting new batterys in the NTG-2, standing different distances from the camcorder, and trying a combination of the settings on the xl1.

any other suggestions would be apppreciated... I still don't quite understand the theory on DB and the combatibility of mics and camcorders. but i had been recommend the rode ntg2 specifically for the Canon xl1.

thanks for any replies........
Peter
Peter Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 07:11 AM   #38
Wrangler

What are you using the Beachtek for? It is not needed with the MA-100 and XL1.

The NTG-2 should work fine with the MA-100 connected to the XL1. Be sure to connect the MA-100 properly and set the proper input level from the menu.
Old June 4th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #39
Tourist

i had the ma-100 that was broken, one of the phono sockets was faulty. so i purchased a beachtek dxa 4-c . then my freind kindly fixed the ma-100. so i have two audio adapters to chose from.

i know the canon xl1 audio settings well enough, and am sure its set correctly. im going to run some test, maybe record some more speech and musical instruments.

Iv'e been reading about this inpudance problem but am sure the rode ntg-2 is compatible with xl-1. anyone else had this issue ?

thanks again - pete
Peter Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #40
Wrangler

If the Rode NTG-2 is up to spec, there should not be a significant impedance issue when used with a working MA-100. The Rode is rated at 350 ohms and the MA-100 input is 600 ohms, loss would be minimal compared to theri suggested 1000 ohm input impedance.

The most likely issues for very low or no audio level.

Input level not set to MIC (or MIC ATT) at the MA-100 menu (the XL1 factory default setting is line level)

MA-100 not powered (audio cables AND the power cable both must be connected to the camcorder before the MA-100 is powered by the camcorder.).

Audio 1 input not selected by the switch behind the audion contols door.

MA-100 not connected to the correct audio inoput (usually audio 1 for 2-channel recording).

But per your earlier posts it sounds like you have alrteady tested the MA-100 and found that it works with other mics. In that case, it sounds like the Rode may have a problem, possibly a bad battery or poor connection. Have you tried the Rode in a different system or PA system to verify its output?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog