Adding telephoto converter onto 16 IS II at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 27th, 2004, 01:25 AM   #1
Tourist

Adding telephoto converter onto 16 IS II

Hello,

I am new to this forum and just starting to plant my feet into the xl1s.

My question is regarding adding a telephoto converter to the 16 IS II lens. The lens I purchased is a 2x telephoto converter made by Digital Optics. It's a 62mm converter, so naturally it is made for a 62mm ring adapter which allows it to screw onto the 72 mm 16 IS II.

The problem I am having is that after I screw the telephoto converter into the 62mm ring (which is made by Bower) and then screw the lens/ring onto the 16 IS II and look through the viewfinder, I no longer am able to see the full field of vision that I should be able to; it becomes like looking through a telescope, where there is a black ring surrounding the image, or as if I closed the iris down. I don't know if I am explaning myself correctly; the best example I can give is that it looks like the end of a Looney Toons episode where the image is slowly swallowed out-to-in by a black circle and there is only a hole of in the middle where Porky Pig sticks his head out and says "That's all folks!" (wow...I just destroyed my future credibility on this forum =/)

Anyway, I would appreciate it if someone coudl tell me if I am simply attaching the converter on wrong, or if maybe the converter I bought simply isn't compatible with the 16 IS II (which shouldn't be the case...).

Also, I am wondering if, since zooming in changes the focal length of a lens, if zooming in with the 16 II IS would be the same thing as using a telephoto lens (i.e. if I would have the same picture quality if I adjusted the focal length of my lens by zooming in as opposed to actually adding a telephoto converter).
Jason J Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 02:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You can expect mechanical vignetting (the darkened corners you discribed) when you are attaching smaller adapters to your lens; get a 72mm and toss the step ring.

Th-th-th-that's All, Folks!
Chris McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:59 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for responding...

So, do you mean I have to get a 72mm lens in order not to have the mechanical vignetting and that I can't use the 62mm converter to get the full picture?

Or, do you mean I need a 72mm ring that's compatible with the telephoto converter?
Jason J Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

even just matching the thread size on the lenses won't guarantee against vignetting, but the 72MM telephoto from digital optics will work with the standard xl1s lens.
Chris McKee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog