Can I use the standard xls1 mike as an external mike for my gs400? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 9th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can I use the standard xls1 mike as an external mike for my gs400?

Can I use the standard xls1 mike as an external mike for my panasonic gs400? Let me explain. I have both cams, and I was just going to go out an get a Rhode mic for the GS400, as it does not really have a mic, the internal one is really bad, and I am wondering if I can use the one that came with the XLS1, which seems like a good mike. The first thing I noticed is that the plug is different (looks like a DC pin). Hmmmm....ideas?

I also want to build a boom; anyone know of a good webpage that describes that? I live in nepal, and there is no way to buy one here. thanks!!!
jigs
Friday.
Jiggy Gaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't know for sure, so don't believe me, but I THINK it would be impossible. Because of that strange connection of the XL1S and I think the mic from the canon is powered from the Canon itself (yep it needs powering :-))

That being said, can anybody (sorry, I asked this in another thread, but didn't really could find a closing answer, and I didn't find a closing answer when I did a search) tell me if the XL1S mic can sound good if you put it on a boom?
And are there actually -200 euro mics who give you more quality than the XL1S one? Is a -200 euro shotgun mic on a boom better then the XL1S mic on the camera?

Thanks for the advice, and Jiggy: Good luck. (Note, I really ain't sure about this! But I have the XL1S and my nephew the GS400 so I think it's impossible.)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mathieu, thanks for the post! i guess u are right, the canon mike needs power, and where to get that if hooked to the gs400? Scratch that idea. That's why the Rhodes mike has a battery. Your relative may be interesting in this link:
http://www.pana3ccduser.com/article.php?filename=Using-the-R%F8de-NT3-Studio-Microphone-with-Panasoni

So we are trying to do the same thing, i think. Long pole, cable, some way to attach, and a proven mic that works on the end of it all.

A wireless clip mike might work, but the seinhauser ones cost as much as the XLs1! I found some cheaper ones, but have never heard of the company and i have never seen one sold anywhere:
http://www.azden.com/

Still, a mike on a pole would be more versitile than a clip mike for the scenes i want to shoot. I wonder about transmitting power over long distances and what wire to use to conduct sound and whatnot too. but surely someone out here must have figured this out!

jigs
Friday.
Jiggy Gaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yeah, I know a friendly guy who will help me at the shoot, and he has the XLR adaptor, but I don't know if he has a good external mike. And they are so expensive! I know if you pay alot many times it has a reason, but I don't have the money now to buy an expensive mike.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #5
Wrangler

The XL1 mic needs a source of clean 5 vdc power. If you can figure out how to power the mic, it can be used as a surce for other gear. (Not hard to do, just takes a bit of technical skill and cunning.) At this point, most folks prefer to buy a different third party mic tha is optimized for theri specific application.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog