using shutter and iris in Auto mode - Exposure lock pressed. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 11th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

using shutter and iris in Auto mode - Exposure lock pressed.

I finally got around to reading the manual (there was not much going here this sunny himal afternoon) and I wished I had read it earlier - it's pretty good for things of this ilk AND the one thing I really noticed was that there are instructions that say by setting the cam on Auto that u can set iris, shutter, whiteb, all of that (but press Exp lock first). wow! But i don't get it. My shooting habits are always: go manual, unless i don't really have the time or care, then i let it roll on auto, but never for long. so what's up with this feature? i would love to hear others who use this mode and for what type of shot. thanks!!!
jigs
heck, while i am here, i always wanted to know why digicams allow u to close down the iris completly. is that just to get pure black or can u do something else with that?
Friday.
Jiggy Gaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:35 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

In my opinion shooting in the Tv program mode with Exp. Lock is a much better solution than shooting in Manual.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 05:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

wow, really? every film class ever attended (not that they were any good) the "pro" always said to shoot in manual. i always assumed this was typical "pro" bullsh** until i learned how to do it. So this must be a feature not found on many other cameras? It's NOT on my gs400, i think! I think the function is just a tad misleading, i mean u press Exposure lock and then adjust the exposure!?! but i just tried it, and its GREAT! thanks!!!!
jigs
Friday.
Jiggy Gaton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog