XL1s rain gear... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 21st, 2002, 07:04 PM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Fitz,
The PB QuickDraw case will work with your loaded rig. One end of the case is expandable and can accommodate variable cam lengths (which is the real issue). I'm also -pretty- sure that you'll be ok with the rain slicker. It's not form-fitting and has a bit of play with respect to the relative locations of the lens hole and mic hole.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2002, 09:40 PM   #17
Major Player

Fitz, I use the PB Rain Slicker, the larger one designed for an XL1 with MA200, and I'm gonna have to disagree a little with Ken on this one. The Rain Slicker, while not exactly form fitting, is still designed to cover just the basic camera without too many accessories. Just about anything that mounts on the MA100/200 (12v batteries for lights, the CH910 with two Canon batteries attached or wireless receivers) will probably have to extend out the back of the cover. Not a problem because the openings are designed with that in mind, unless you expect all that stuff to be protected from the elements.

Also, you could probably manage to use the LightWave System Isolator and ME66, provided you do not also have the LightWave Mini Mount. I've used mine with the SI, but don't own the Mini Mount. It is a fairly tight fit in the area of the microphone, so I just don't think you could squeeze that accessory in there. If I'm wrong about that, someone please let me know. The windscreen shouldn't be a problem since it would be outside the cover anyway.

There is enough slack vertically to cover a BeachTek or Studio 1 XLR adapter without much problem. If possible, you might want to try before you buy.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 07:00 AM   #18
Major Player

I'll be getting a minimount soon, and I already have the PB extended slicker, so I'll let everyone know exactly what can all fit in there :)
Old October 22nd, 2002, 07:32 AM   #19
New Boot

Alas, I am using the Minimount. I wish Porta Brace had posted the dimensions on their website for their products. I also own a GL1 that I use a Porta Brace rain slicker on and it is one snug fit.
I'm an airshow junkie and am currently using a homemade cover made out of Gor-Tex which works fine mounted on a tripod, but to put it bluntly, sucks big time, for hand held shooting.
The quest continues...

Fitz
John Fitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2003, 03:49 PM   #20
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by SyneticDV : I'll be getting a minimount soon, and I already have the PB extended slicker, so I'll let everyone know exactly what can all fit in there :) -->>>

Did you get your minimount and how did it all fit in there?

By the way, I am using the Kata RC11 raincover, and I have to say that it is a very fine cover. Excellent quality and great in use. I think I will buy a new cover soon, but I still think it will be a Kata, because I like it a lot. The reason I will buy another one is that I should have bought the Kata RC10, because it is more room for the MA200, minimount and so on.

Ivan
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog