xl1 playback problem please help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 13th, 2001, 06:16 AM   #1
bobbyxl1

xl1 playback problem please help

i shot some footage earlier today, when played bck, nothing on tape. i tried watching another old tape with footage i know is on it.... but still no picture. there is timecode but no picture. when fast forward(search) the image can be seen but with several bars accross the screen....... any ideas. could the heads be dirty or is it more serious?
Old September 13th, 2001, 10:43 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Sure sounds like dirty heads to me. Try running a head cleaning cassette for a few seconds. If you've had your XL1 for more than a year without sending it in to Canon Service for a checkup and thorough cleaning, then now is certainly the time to do so. See the "XL1 Skinny" page on the Watchdog.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2001, 03:23 AM   #3
Major Player

Sounds silly, but sometimes the plug of the viewfinder has come loose a bit: pls. check.
Old October 9th, 2001, 12:18 AM   #4
Quantum Productions

I've been having the same problem as well! I know it's dirt on the heads because as soon as I use the head cleaner it corrects the problem. Unfortunately I've been really bad and haven't sent my camera in for service in 2 years!! I've been so busy with it that I couldn't part with it. I don't have a DV deck so my camera has to be my record/playback deck as well. I had my head-drum replaced already but it was under warranty then. I would suggest to anyone to buy a DV deck for editing as it will wear the heads out quickly using the camera for editing (as I'm finding out)!
Also press the 'search' quick review button once in a while to make sure your recording! If it's 'blue' with a time code still going, you've probably got dirt!

2 more weddings to edit and then I promise I will send it in to Canon!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog