wireless mic with xl1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 9th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #1
Tourist

wireless mic with xl1s

What is the reccomended wireless mic to use with the Canon xl1s? I currently have a Audio Technica PRO 88W but there is intermitant interferrence while recording. simply can not use anymore. Iv'e also tried a Sony WCS-999 but the same issue occured (and it wasn't stereo). Any suggestions for about $300?

Scott
Scott Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #2
Wrangler

There are a number of good models. Depends on how serious you are about recording, your budget, and application. The multi-frequency UHF models are probably the best group in general for avoiding interferrence, but typically above your price point.

For $300 price range the selections are limited, mainly VHF - check the Azden WDR-Pro receiver (around $200) and corresponding transmitters (around $100), which give you two frequencies to increase the chance of avoiding interference, and diversity receiver to reduce effects of dropouts. But it may not prove to be be significant better thtn the PRO 88W you already have.
Old July 10th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #3
Tourist

Thank you Don! What if I was to spedn more then what model would you suggest?

Scott
Scott Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:48 AM   #4
Wrangler

Since I've not used many different models, I have no specific basis to compare their relative merits. Best bet might be to read all the back posts here and other forums that address audio.

In general, cost coorelates with quality, so more expensive usually means higher quality. The trick is to find the sweet spot for your performance need and budget. An Azden 500-UDR receriver-based system might be a reasonable starting point, but there are a number of other brands. I've used a friends Sony system with good results as well.

Perhaps others wil chime in with comments and suggestions.
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #5
Major Player

There are a number of reasons why you are getting intermittent interference on your wireless system.
The most common reason is that someone or something in your immediate vicinity is broadcasting on same frequency. A multiple frequency system is the only quick way to avoid this issue.
Another is the gain setting on your transmitter is set to low. This is great for reducing interference, but also reduces transmission strength. The mute, or squelch setting on your receiver may also be set too low. It has the same effect as reduced gain on the transmitter.
If your system is VHF, there may be a broadcast television station in your local area that is compromising your signal. Visit the support pages of AT website and look at their TV frequency page. You will be able to search all of the TV stations in your area (by zip code) and see if there is a station that overlaps the frequency of your transmitter.
Low battery strength is also a cause for loss of signal.
Cell phones and heating and air conditioning electric motors also create problems if they are physically placed too close to either transmitter or receiver.

The Azden Pro series wireless systems are entry level products, and have no adjustments. I would approach them cautiously. I own the dual channel system, which does not have a true dual diversity receiver, and will not use it if I am more than 20' from my subject.

UHF systems, partly because of their tighter wavelength and partly because there are few transmitter is use, tend to be more reliable.

Quality is directly related to price in most cases. The AT system you have should be serve your needs. Review all of the troubleshooting advice before you purchase a new system.

Another apporach is to use a mini disc or an iRiver mp3 recorder. They offer quality recording at the expense of having to sync the audio to the video in post.
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #6
Inner Circle

No Tone!

I am not sure if other systems have this feature or not, by my Sony UWP-C1 and C2 systems have a feature to prevent most interferance. The receiver sends out a specific tone, and expects to get it back from the mircophone or transmitter. If it does not, it will not accept the input.

Has its good points and bad points I guess, as I bought a nice Sony wireless mic and it had matching frequencies, but because it did not send that tone, it would not work with the receiver. The receiver would receive the signal, but the LCD readout would read, "No Tone."

These Sony units are UHF and sell for $499.00 at B&H. But, if you hurry, they have a demo unit up for $350.00 I think right now. That would be a good buy.

Good Luck,

Mike
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #7
Wrangler

To be more specific, the Azden WDR-Pro system is a "true diversity receiver" with separate receivers and antennas, and depending on which variant (standard or S) operates on 2 of 4 frequencies in the range of 169.4-171.8 mHz. It does offer an output level adjustment, but this is not an adjustment intended for frequent field use.

The other Azden Pro series VHF models are not diversity. They are basic single-receiver systems. The W22-Pro is intended as a 2-channel (e.g., stereo) system.

At their moderate price point, they are targeted at the wedding vidergrapher on a budget and serve reasonably well at that application. However, it is not uncommon to encounter a venue that is also using them for their wireless system and thus conflicts/interference may happen.

As always, more money can buy more capability and better performance.
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Consider the Senn EW112p-G2

One of the best lavs under $1000, and very popular here, is the Senn EW112p-G2 lav system. You can buy it from B&H for about $500, but I have seen it as low as $375. One bonus of the Senn G2 is that it comes with two output connectors: one for XLR and one for mini-jack. I really like this system as I have found it provides great quality, has lots of useful features, is light-weight, and runs on AA batteries. I have NOT had any problems with dropouts. One of the most useful features is to scan for unused frequencies where you are located.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog