soft carry case for xl-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 12th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #1
New Boot

soft carry case for xl-1

Hello
I am in need of a soft carry case for my xl-1. I carried the big metal case on vacation and it was a pain.
any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sarah Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Soft case...

While you don't indicate what accessories you have, a little more case shouldn't be an issue. I have used a Porta Brace, Model CO-OB for several years. It has many air and land miles on it (yes, it is overhead compatible), and it holds the XL1s with a CH-910 (I think that's the number) dual charger/holder, an MA-200 and an AT wireless receiver (antennas on), headphones, mics, tapes, filters and countless wires, cables, adaptors and gadgets. I fold the eyepiece forward...but that's the only concession I make in packing the camera. It's a well designed and flawlessly built bag. I'd buy another in a moment.
Frank Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #3
Major Player

i'd have to second the porta brace bags suggestion... i have a ctc-2. they're definitely not on the cheap side, but after you plonk down the initial couple of hundred bucks, you won't need about another bag until you change cameras. i too encumbered myself with a canon system hard case for the first year or so... the portability and protection the porta brace bag offers made a world of difference in pick-up-and-go situations, and i use it exclusively now.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 02:08 AM   #4
Major Player

I have a Kata. It has no model number on it but I believe it was designed with xl1 in mind.

It is shower proof. Has a double zip opening hinged at each end, therefore a wide opening mouth. Will hold xl1s with MA100 shoulder pad attached. Has room inside for power pack, remote, batteries and cables, plus extra room I don't need yet. It has a pocket on each end with velcro and clip. In one end I keep a camera rain jacket, in the other end I stash cables. It has a large side pocket with zip which neatly holds the manual or other papers. It has a hand carry handle plus a shoulder strap. I was told it fits the overhead luggage rack on an aeroplane. I thought it expensive at the time, but has proved to be worth it. I have the bulky metal case as well but now never use it. You don't have to remove the viewfinder.

It is fairly durable and protects the camera. It looks more like a luggage bag and not a camera case.

I can try and find the model of it if your interested.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog