Degrading LCD Viewfinder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 18th, 2010, 03:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Degrading LCD Viewfinder

Hi,

We have a 1st generation XL1 that has developed a viewfinder problem. White specs/grains filled up the screen making shooting impossible.

PLEASE SEE IMAGES HERE

Has anyone experienced this?
Do you know any fix?
How about an affordable alternate/replacement EVF unit?..please provide links.

Thank you.
Ervz Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

(i respectfully bump...)
Ervz Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Ervz............

Never seen the problem before.

If used in the tropics it could be either accelerated decomposition of the LCD material in the viewfinder (terminal affliction), circuit board degradation due to humidity problems or a host of other age/ humidity related problems too numerous to mention or a simple contact problem with the plug.

I'd try a good contact cleaning spray (NOT oil!) on the plug/ socket set and see if a bit of in/ out manipulation makes any difference.

As you're probably aware, the first generation of XL1's are now practically octogenarians in technology terms and getting parts is nigh on impossible.

If the above doesn't fix the problem (and I'm not holding my breath) you have four options:

1. Ditch the camera and upgrade a couple of generations of technology.

2. Buy a second/ third hand XL1 and use it's viewfinder on your original camera, keep the rest of the "new" unit for parts, or some combination.

3. Buy a used XL1s and ditch the current camera, keep it on hand for parts that MAY fit the XL1s (tape drive etc).

3. Use the AV Out terminal and connect it to a 7" LCD panel mounted on the hot shoe for focus etc.

Can't think of any other alternative.

CS

Last edited by Chris Soucy; March 19th, 2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: ++Update
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 07:51 AM   #4
Wrangler

I've seen a sort of similar effect on an old tube-type B&W viewfinder on a 1980's vintage A1Digital taht sat for a long time without use. Probably was the result of a deteriorated capacitor in the electronics. I believe this resulted in unstable/noisy the black levels in the luminance signal. Leaving it powered on for a while (several hours with no tape in it) allowed the capacitor to reform and it improved a bit, but not totally. However, there is no assurance that a similar issue is the case with you camcorder.

Your problem may be in the Color View Finder (CVF) or in the camcorder body, but I would guess the CVF. Can you get your hands on a second CVF known to work on another camcorder and try it? This will isolate the issue to the body or CVF.

The XL1 dates to about 1997. Look to auction sites and used equipment sources for a possible replacement. Might find a CVF alone, or a body kit with CVF cheaper than a camcorder with lens. Good luck in you request. As suggested above, an external LCR monitor may be a good option.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog